Tagged: allegorical

Jindřišská 909/14: Main Post Office

Jindřišská 909/14: Main Post Office

Postal services in Bohemia started in 1526, when mounted couriers made the first deliveries between Prague and Vienna, the twin seats of the Habsburgs. But it was not until the reign of Maria Theresa in the 18th century...

Moskevská 77/4

Moskevská 77/4

Of the many celebrated Czech architects of the first decade of the twentieth century, perhaps the most prolific was the Austrian-born Osvald Polívka. Best known for civic projects such as Prague’s new City Hall (1911) and Municipal House...

Na Příkopě 18 & 20: Zemská banka (Provincial Bank)

Na Příkopě 18 & 20: Zemská banka (Provincial Bank)

In the latter half of the nineteenth century, Czech politics was dominated by one question: how to gain greater autonomy from the Austrian empire (or indeed how to break with Austria entirely). The argument was supported by a...

Polská 1283/18: 'The Assyrian Kings'

Polská 1283/18: ‘The Assyrian Kings’

Prague’s well-heeled residential district of Vinohrady is renowned for its grand apartment blocks, built at the turn of the 20th century in a variety of historicist styles. Their monumental entrances and lavish facades present a panoply of historical,...

Slezská 100/7: House of Agricultural Education

Slezská 100/7: House of Agricultural Education

Agriculture had been studied as an academic discipline since the 1780s in Prague, but it was the emergence of the fledgling state of Czechoslovakia in 1918 that prompted widescale practical reforms to the agricultural economy. These included the...

Hospital and Church of the Holy Trinity, Kuks

Hospital and Church of the Holy Trinity, Kuks

Almost exactly halfway between the cities of Hradec Králové and Trutnov in the north of the Czech Republic, the river Elbe flows through the pleasant wooded valley of Kuks, from which the land rises gently away on both...

Liliová 17 and Karlova 18: The Golden Snake

Liliová 17 and Karlova 18: The Golden Snake

By common consent, the first coffee-seller appeared in Prague in 1714. Originally from Damascus, the lively Armenian entrepreneur Gorgos Hatalah worked the streets of Malá Strana selling ‘Turkish’ coffee heated on a portable brazier, and building a reputation...

Karlova 189/2: Colloredo-Mansfeld Palace

Karlova 189/2: Colloredo-Mansfeld Palace

Between 1736 and 1737 the original renaissance palace by Giovanni Battista Aliprandi was rebuilt in the high baroque style for Prince Paul Henry of Mansfeld, probably by the architect Franz Ignaz Prée. Despite late rococo styling throughout the...

Prague Astronomical Clock (Orloj)

Prague Astronomical Clock (Orloj)

The exact authorship of the mediaeval clock (‘orloj’) in Prague’s Old Town Square is confused, but it seems to have been the result of a collaboration between Mikuláš of Kadaň and Jan Šindel, an astronomer and vice-chancellor of...

Malé náměstí 456/14: The Black Pony

Malé náměstí 456/14: The Black Pony

The Black Pony stands in the heart of the Old Town, one of a row of attractive renaissance town-houses which in the early fifteenth century were home to the city’s first pharmacies. Its neighbours include The Golden Lily...