Tagged: sgraffito

Prague Castle: Míčovna (Ball-Game House)

Prague Castle: Míčovna (Ball-Game House)

The Great Ball Game House in the grounds of the castle dates from between 1567 and 1569 and is the work of Bonifaz Wohlmut, who also contributed to the nearby Royal Summer Palace as well as the Church...

Podplukovníka Sochora 694/24

Podplukovníka Sochora 694/24

John of Luxembourg (King of Bohemia 1310-1346) is one of three rulers in this neo-renaissance frieze by the 19th-century painter Mikoláš Aleš. He is flanked by his successor Charles IV (King of Bohemia 1346-1378, Holy Roman Emperor), and...

Ovocný trh 567/15: U České orlice

Ovocný trh 567/15: U České orlice

‘Mír a štěstí buď pod touto střechou’: ‘May peace and happiness reign under this roof’ AD 1897. The House of the Bohemian Eagle (U České orlice) stands in the historic fruitmarket, near to the House of the Black...

Gröbe Villa (Grébovka)

Gröbe Villa (Grébovka)

In 1871, a kilometre-long train tunnel was constructed under the high ground of this historic district on the southern side of the city. Moritz Gröbe, the railway magnate whose company was responsible for digging it, had the excavated...

Vojtěšská 216/13: Elementary School

Vojtěšská 216/13: Elementary School

The highly decorative art-nouveau facade of an elementary school (základní škola) in Prague’s New Town. The current school was built in 1906 on the site of an earlier institution dating from 1882. The coats of arms are those...

Staroměstské náměstí 3/2: U Minuty

Staroměstské náměstí 3/2: U Minuty

Dům U minuty (‘The Minute’, also known as ‘The White Lion’) is a 15th-century house in the corner of the Old Town Square. The delicate sgraffito-work was added in 1610, but was later plastered over before being re-discovered...