Tagged: Jan Blažej Santini-Aichel

The Aichels were stonemasons, who had moved from the Italian Tyrol to Prague in 1630. They were clearly a respectable family: the architect Carlo Lurago was a witness at the birth of Jan Blažej’s father. During his short life (he died at 46), Jan Blažej Santini-Aichel brought his own individual talent to the prevailing baroque style, creating innumerable geometrical fantasies after the fashion of his hero, Francesco Borromini.

Karlova Koruna, Chlumec nad Cidlinou

Karlova Koruna, Chlumec nad Cidlinou

The village of Chlumec, fifty miles east of Prague, came into the possession of the noble family of Kinský at the start of the seventeenth century.  In 1721, Count František Ferdinand Kinský invited the baroque architect Jan Blažej...

Mariánská Týnice, Church of the Annunciation

Mariánská Týnice, Church of the Annunciation

Originally a shrine to the Virgin built by the Cistercian order from nearby Plasy, the Church of the Annunciation at Mariánská Týnice rises impressively from the open countryside of Western Bohemia, just north of Plzeň. The records tell that...

Veltrusy Chateau

Veltrusy Chateau

Situated on the banks of the river Vltava about twenty miles north of Prague, the chateau of Veltrusy was commissioned in 1704 for the counts of Chotek. Work began around the year 1706 to a tightly symmetrical plan...

Church of the Name of the Virgin, Křtiny

Church of the Name of the Virgin, Křtiny

Legend has it that the ninth-century saints Cyril and Methodius baptized their first Moravian disciples in this wooded valley a few miles northeast of Brno (about 150 miles southeast of Prague). The village of Křtiny (‘Christenings’) later became...