Tagged: heraldry

Heroldovy sady 411/3

Heroldovy sady 411/3

The first village schoolmaster in Vršovice was appointed in the 17th century, and we know that in 1797 Matouš Holub was running a small school from his family cottage near the Botič stream. But the parish had to...

Praha hlavní nádraží (Main Station)

Praha hlavní nádraží (Main Station)

A mere thirty years after the arrival of the first railways in Prague, the urgent need for expansion resulted in the demolition of the original neo-renaissance Franz Josef station. Its replacement – built between 1901 and 1909 to...

Rašínovo nábřeží 412/30: Podskalí Customs House

Rašínovo nábřeží 412/30: Podskalí Customs House

Prior to the construction of the half-mile-long Rašín Embankment in 1904, visitors would have passed among the streets and low wooden buildings of ‘Podskalí’, a hamlet named for its position ‘under the rock’ of Vysehrad, the ancient fortified...

Ovocný trh 567/15: U České orlice

Ovocný trh 567/15: U České orlice

‘Mír a štěstí buď pod touto střechou’: ‘May peace and happiness reign under this roof’ AD 1897. The House of the Bohemian Eagle (U České orlice) stands in the historic fruitmarket, near to the House of the Black...

Hradčanské náměstí 56/16: Archbishop's Palace

Hradčanské náměstí 56/16: Archbishop’s Palace

The Italian Giovanni Battista Aliprandi is usually thought of as the architect of this building, but Dijon-born architect Jean Baptiste Mathey (responsible for the design of several major buildings in Prague, including Troja Chateau to the north of...

Týnská ulička 611/10

Týnská ulička 611/10

A house has stood on this spot in Týn Alley since at least the 13th century, when it was the home of doctor Jakub Lavín of Ottenfeld. From 1405 until the 1600s the building was used as a...

Vojtěšská 216/13: Elementary School

Vojtěšská 216/13: Elementary School

The highly decorative art-nouveau facade of an elementary school (základní škola) in Prague’s New Town. The current school was built in 1906 on the site of an earlier institution dating from 1882. The coats of arms are those...

Malé náměstí

Malé náměstí

The oldest fountain in Prague stands in Malé náměstí (Little Square), not far from the more famous Old Town Square. What we see today was substantially remodelled from 1876 to 1878 by the master of the neo-gothic, Josef...

Malostranské náměstí 37/23: Kaiserstein palace

Malostranské náměstí 37/23: Kaiserstein palace

The palace was built for Franz Helfried, Baron of Kaiserstein, whose coat-of-arms appears above the window. Originally a renaissance building dating from 1630, it was substantially restyled in 1714 by the Italian architect Giovanni Battista Aliprandi, with construction...

Náměstí 14. r̆íjna 83/15: Smíchov market hall

Náměstí 14. r̆íjna 83/15: Smíchov market hall

The coat-of-arms of Smichov appear in the art nouveau gable of Alois Čenský’s Smíchov market-hall (1906-1909). Superimposed on the arms of Prague are two small inscutcheons: one shows the double-tailed lion of Bohemia, the other a silver tower...