Tagged: Vojtěch Ignác Ullmann

UllmannStand at the east end of the Bridge of Legions (Most Legií) , and you can take in all three of Ullmann’s large-scale projects from the early 1860s: the Lažanský Palace (housing the Cafe Slavia), the Academy of Sciences (originally the headquarters of the Česká spořitelna bank), and the Provisional Theatre of 1862, later incorporated into the National Theatre.

Hybernská 11 and Havlíčkova 1: Lannův dům

Hybernská 11 and Havlíčkova 1: Lannův palác

Built on the site of the fifteenth-century House of the Black Hare, this neo-renaissance palace in the Venetian style was erected in 1857 for Vojtěch Lanna, founder of the Kladno steelworks. As often in the case of such...

Church of Saints Cyril and Methodius, Karlín

Church of Saints Cyril and Methodius, Karlín

In the year 863, the Orthodox missionary brothers Cyril and Methodius began translating the Bible into the language known as Old Church Slavonic, using a specially-formulated script from which was derived the later ‘Cyrillic’ alphabet. Their work enabled...

Národní 223/2: National Theatre

Národní 223/2: National Theatre

A theatre was planned for this riverbank site as early as 1844, but it was not until 1862 that the first National Theatre (Národní Divadlo) appeared, in the form of a neo-classical building designed by Ignác Vojtěch Ullmann....