Tagged: Carlo Lurago

For two hundred years, from 1530 to 1730, Prague witnessed a huge influx of skilled émigrés from the Lombardy region of Northern Italy. One of them, Carlo Lurago, arrived in 1648, aged only 23. He contributed to several significant projects, including the renaissance-style portico of St Salvator’s church, and later was responsible for the church of Saint Ignatius Loyola in Charles Square.

Maltézské náměstí 471/1: Nostic Palace

Maltézské náměstí 471/1: Nostic Palace

This early baroque palace in the Malá Strana district was built between 1662 and 1675 for Jan Hartvik, count of Nostitz (‘Nostic’ in Czech orthography). For many years attributed to Francesco Caratti, later analysis suggests that the palace...

Church of Saint Ignatius Loyola

Church of Saint Ignatius Loyola

The Jesuit church dedicated to the founder of that order, Saint Ignatius Loyola, dominates Charles Square in Prague’s New Town. It was built between 1658 and 1671 by Carlo Lurago and his pupil Giovanni Domenico Orsi de Orsini....

Křižovnické náměstí: Church of the Holy Saviour

Křižovnické náměstí: Church of the Holy Saviour

The Jesuit church of the Holy Saviour (Sanctus Salvator) was originally constructed in 1578. From 1638 to 1648, it was remodelled in the baroque style by the youthful Italian architects Carlo Lurago and Francesco Caratti, both of them...