Tagged: Jože Plečnik

MediaJože Plečnik (1872 – 1957) was a Slovene architect and professor at Prague’s School of Decorative Arts. From 1920 to 1934, he transformed and unified the courtyards and grounds of Prague Castle in his own distinctive neoclassical style. The same monumental geometry also marks out his masterpiece, the Church of the Sacred Heart.

 

Prague Castle: Ludvík Wing and 'Bull' Staircase

Prague Castle: Ludvík Wing and ‘Bull’ Staircase

Halfway along the impressive southern rampart of Prague Castle stands the Ludvík wing, a five-storey bastion built between 1503 and 1509 and named after Ludvík Jagellonský, ruler of Bohemia from 1516 to 1526. Its architect, the master builder...

Lány Chateau

Lány Chateau

The village of Lány, twenty miles from Prague, stands in a region of fields and forests used for hunting since at least the tenth century. But it was in 1587 that Emperor Rudolf II forged a powerful link...

Náměstí Jiřího z Poděbrad: Church of the Sacred Heart

Náměstí Jiřího z Poděbrad: Church of the Sacred Heart

The Church of the Sacred Heart was designed by Slovenian architect Jože Plečnik and constructed between 1928 and 1932. Plečnik had already successfully remodelled elements of Prague Castle at the behest of the founding president of the Czechoslovak...