LATEST ADDITIONS

Mahlerovy sady 2699/1: Žižkov TV tower

Mahlerovy sady 2699/1: Žižkov TV tower

The first television signals in Prague were transmitted from Petřín Hill in 1953. By 1974, however, there was a clear need for a purpose-built high-power transmitter, and plans started to be drawn up for a replacement. The result,...

Vítkov Memorial

Vítkov Memorial

Vítkov Hill, due east of Prague’s historic centre, has always been an important strategic site. It was here in 1420 that Jan Žižka, scourge of the Holy Roman Empire and zealous warrior of the Hussite cause, led his...

Na Smetance 505/1

Na Smetance 505/1

This neo-renaissance secondary school in Prague 2 was constructed by Josef Franzl from a plan by the great Prague architect Antonin Turek, who was also responsible for the beautiful Vinohrady water tower and numerous other public buildings in...

Archivní 2257/4: National Archive

Archivní 2257/4: National Archive

The new National Archive was constructed between 1994 and 1997 to a plan by the architect Iva Knappová. The bold decoration of its ceramic surface lends a certain fluidity to the building’s otherwise forbidding exterior: and its pattern,...

Štefánikova 68/12: Portheimka

Štefánikova 68/12: Portheimka

In 1722, the celebrated Prague architect Kilián Ignác Dientzenhofer purchased a plot of land formerly held by the Jesuits, where his patron Count Jan Václav Michna already owned a substantial garden. Over the course of the next three...

Národní 1010/9: Topič Gallery

Národní 1010/9: Topič Gallery

In 1883 the publisher František Topič opened his first bookshop here on Národní třída (National Avenue). From its central location opposite the National Theatre, Topič was able to exert great influence as a promoter of graphic design, and...

Výstaviště Exhibition Grounds

Výstaviště Exhibition Grounds

In 1791 a vast outdoor exhibition took place in Prague to mark the coronation (as King of Bohemia) of the Holy Roman Emperor Leopold II. The celebrations included the first performance of Mozart’s penultimate opera, La Clemenza di...

Přemyslova 98/11 and Neklanova 98/30

Přemyslova 98/11 and Neklanova 98/30

This corner apartment block was constructed between 1913 and 1914 by František Hodek, and is generally attributed to the cubist architect Josef Chochol. The building’s classical articulation is set off by Chochol’s trademark lozenges, whose converging diagonals combine...

Vrchlického sady: President Woodrow Wilson

Vrchlického sady: President Woodrow Wilson

The collapse of the Austro-Hungarian empire in 1918 saw the emergence of a number of independent European nation-states, of which Czechoslovakia was one. Instrumental in the creation of the new republic was the then president of the United...

Heroldovy sady 411/3

Heroldovy sady 411/3

The first village schoolmaster in Vršovice was appointed in the 17th century, and we know that in 1797 Matouš Holub was running a small school from his family cottage near the Botič stream. But the parish had to...