Vinohradská 1200/50: Vinohradská tržnice

The distinctive russet-coloured Vinohradská tržnice (Vinohrady market hall) was constructed on the site of a former machine factory in 1902, one of several new covered marketplaces built at that time to serve Prague’s rapidly expanding population.

The neo-renaissance detail of the exterior is typical of its architect, Antonín Turek, who designed a number of neighbouring buildings including the Národní dům (National House) in Namesti Miru, and the Vinohrady water tower.  The original steel-framed interior and glazed roof have been preserved; and though the hundred-or-so fruit and vegetable stalls have now given way to boutique furniture shops and cafes, the statues of two market traders above the entrance remind us of the building’s original function.