Tagged: cubist

Spálená 82/4: Dům Diamant

Spálená 82/4: Dům Diamant

Until February 1912, this corner building in Prague’s New Town was due to be reconstructed in a traditional historicist manner, more sympathetic to the baroque style of the Church of the Holy Trinity next door. However, some time...

Václavské náměstí 795/40: Šupich building

Václavské náměstí 795/40: Šupich building

The completion in 1891 of the new museum at the top of Wenceslas Square was the crowning achievement of the Czech National Revival, a statement of nationhood that anticipated by thirty years the founding of the Czechoslovak state...

Prokopova 216/4: Bethlehem Chapel in Žižkov

Prokopova 216/4: Bethlehem Chapel in Žižkov

Six hundred years ago, in 1414, the practice of administering communion ‘in both kinds’ (i.e. with consecrated bread and wine for all participants, not just the clergy) was restored in Prague. The execution of the protestant leader Jan...

Na Poříčí 1046/24: Bank of the Legions

Na Poříčí 1046/24: Bank of the Legions

The Bank of the Legions (Legionářská banka, or Legiobanka) was founded in 1919 in the Siberian city of Irkutsk as a depository for the savings of Czechoslovak soldiers returning from the First World War. As a sign of...

Přemyslova 98/11 and Neklanova 98/30

Přemyslova 98/11 and Neklanova 98/30

This corner apartment block was constructed between 1913 and 1914 by František Hodek, and is generally attributed to the cubist architect Josef Chochol. The building’s classical articulation is set off by Chochol’s trademark lozenges, whose converging diagonals combine...

Celetná 569/34: The Black Madonna

Celetná 569/34: The Black Madonna

The ‘House of the Black Madonna’ occupies a corner plot between the streets of Celetná and Ovocný trh (Fruitmarket) in Prague’s Old Town. Its facade and the unique interior were designed in 1911 by Josef Gočár, an example...

Vodičkova 710/31:  U Myšáka

Vodičkova 710/31: U Myšáka

In 1922, the original neo-renaissance building by Otto Ehlen (1883) was refaced in the prevalent cubist style favoured by architects such as Josef Gočár and Pavel Janák. Although these two famous names were consulted on the project, it...

Rašínovo nábřeží 47/8

Rašínovo nábřeží 47/8

This triple villa was constructed for three sets of clients: the central white house for the brothers Jan and Josef Bayer, and the red houses on either side for two property developers, František Hodek and Antonín Belada. Built...

Libušina 49/3: Kovařovic Villa

Libušina 49/3: Kovařovic Villa

The fragmented geometry of Cubism had a major impact on Bohemian artistic style in the years leading up to the First World War, and it was in Prague above all that Cubist design reached its most complete form....