Korunní 725/66: Vinohrady Water Tower
The Vinohradská Vodárna (Vinohrady Water Tower) is a handsome neo-renaissance turret dating from 1882. Its designer was Antonín Turek, a local architect responsible for many noteworthy public buildings, including the National House of Vinohrady and the innovative Vinohrady Market Hall.
Its seven storeys once housed a 44,000 gallon tank which supplied the district with water pumped from the Vltava and from the Kárané water station. The tower formed part of a vast network which expanded rapidly from about 1912 onwards. Although no longer open to the public, from the observation deck it’s possible to admire the view as far north as the Krkonoše Mountains, near the Polish border.
The handsome clock is operated by a mechanism designed by Ludwig Hainz of Prague, while the facade is embellished with the crest of Vinohrady and sculptures of herald angels.