Tagged: art deco

Křižíkova 552/2

Křižíkova 552/2

These offices of the State Railway Directorate were constructed between 1920 and 1922 by two architects whose names are often linked with train station architecture in the Czech lands: Vojtěch Krch and Gustav Kulhavý. The...

Na Příkopě 864/28: Czech National Bank

Na Příkopě 864/28: Czech National Bank

The vicinity of the Czech National Bank has been a trading quarter ever since the Middle Ages, when precious metals regularly arrived at the city’s east gate from the silver mines of Kutná Hora. Nearby...

Slezská 100/7: House of Agricultural Education

Slezská 100/7: House of Agricultural Education

Agriculture had been studied as an academic discipline since the 1780s in Prague, but it was the emergence of the fledgling state of Czechoslovakia in 1918 that prompted widescale practical reforms to the agricultural economy....

Prokopova 216/4: Bethlehem Chapel in Žižkov

Prokopova 216/4: Bethlehem Chapel in Žižkov

Six hundred years ago, in 1414, the practice of administering communion ‘in both kinds’ (i.e. with consecrated bread and wine for all participants, not just the clergy) was restored in Prague. The execution of the...

Na Poříčí 1046/24: Bank of the Legions

Na Poříčí 1046/24: Bank of the Legions

The Bank of the Legions (Legionářská banka, or Legiobanka) was founded in 1919 in the Siberian city of Irkutsk as a depository for the savings of Czechoslovak soldiers returning from the First World War. As...

Podolské nábřeží 15/10: Podolí Waterworks

Podolské nábřeží 15/10: Podolí Waterworks

The exponential growth of Prague in the second half of the nineteenth century placed particular pressure on the city’s fresh water supply. Ancient water towers and drinking fountains were no longer good enough, and in...

Mariánské náměstí 98/1: Municipal Library

Mariánské náměstí 98/1: Municipal Library

The art deco municipal library in Marianské Square was designed by the architect František Roith, a pupil of Otto Wagner, and constructed between 1925 and 1928. One fifth of the building is given over to...

Perlova 371/5: Palác ARA

Perlova 371/5: Palác ARA

In the 17th century, the plot on which this building stands was owned by Vojtěch Had of Proseč, whose noble title, Perlštejn, probably gave Perlova street its name. Until the twentieth century a neo-classical palace...