Category: baroque

Mariánská Týnice, Church of the Annunciation

Mariánská Týnice, Church of the Annunciation

Originally a shrine to the Virgin built by the Cistercian order from nearby Plasy, the Church of the Annunciation at Mariánská Týnice rises impressively from the open countryside of Western Bohemia, just north of Plzeň. The records tell that...

Church of the Holy Trinity, Zahořany u Křešic

Church of the Holy Trinity, Zahořany u Křešic

One of the earliest baroque buildings in Bohemia, the church of the Holy Trinity at Zahořany near Křešice was built between 1653 and 1657 by the Italian architect Bernardo Spineta from nearby Litoměřice. The church and its campanile...

Lány Chateau

Lány Chateau

The village of Lány, twenty miles from Prague, stands in a region of fields and forests used for hunting since at least the tenth century. But it was in 1587 that Emperor Rudolf II forged a powerful link...

Church of Saint Joseph, and Na Poříčí 1077/1

Church of Saint Joseph, and Na Poříčí 1077/1

Alongside the refurbished barracks that now form the Palladium shopping centre in Prague’s New Town sits the unassuming single-gabled church of St Joseph. It was built between 1636 and 1653 by Melichar Mayer for the order of Capuchin...

Hospital and Church of the Holy Trinity, Kuks

Hospital and Church of the Holy Trinity, Kuks

Almost exactly halfway between the cities of Hradec Králové and Trutnov in the north of the Czech Republic, the river Elbe flows through the pleasant wooded valley of Kuks, from which the land rises gently away on both...

Veltrusy Chateau

Veltrusy Chateau

Situated on the banks of the river Vltava about twenty miles north of Prague, the chateau of Veltrusy was commissioned in 1704 for the counts of Chotek. Work began around the year 1706 to a tightly symmetrical plan...

Liliová 17 and Karlova 18: The Golden Snake

Liliová 17 and Karlova 18: The Golden Snake

By common consent, the first coffee-seller appeared in Prague in 1714. Originally from Damascus, the lively Armenian entrepreneur Gorgos Hatalah worked the streets of Malá Strana selling ‘Turkish’ coffee heated on a portable brazier, and building a reputation...

Karlova 189/2: Colloredo-Mansfeld Palace

Karlova 189/2: Colloredo-Mansfeld Palace

Between 1736 and 1737 the original renaissance palace by Giovanni Battista Aliprandi was rebuilt in the high baroque style for Prince Paul Henry of Mansfeld, probably by the architect Franz Ignaz Prée. Despite late rococo styling throughout the...