Tagged: Mikoláš Aleš

Mikolas-AlesMikoláš Aleš (1852 – 1913) was a prolific illustrator and painter, especially of scenes and characters from Czech legend and history. His designs, rooted in the spirit of the Czech National Revival, adorn the facades of countless neo-renaissance houses in Prague and further afield.

 

P1010581

Masarykovo nábřeží 250/1: Mánes Exhibition Hall

In 1887, a small group of Czech artists and writers came together to found the Mánes Society of Fine Arts. In the context of their country’s desire to break away from the Austro-Hungarian empire, ‘S.V.U. Mánes’ represented a...

P1100538b-2

Výstaviště Exhibition Grounds

In 1791 a vast outdoor exhibition took place in Prague to mark the coronation (as King of Bohemia) of the Holy Roman Emperor Leopold II. The celebrations included the first performance of Mozart’s penultimate opera, La Clemenza di...

P1080311b-2

Náměstí Republiky 1090/5: Municipal House

The Municipal House (Obecní dům) was built between 1905 and 1912 on the site of the former Royal Court as an official centre for Czech social and cultural affairs. When an open competition for its design produced no...

P1080236b-2

Podplukovníka Sochora 694/24

John of Luxembourg (King of Bohemia 1310-1346) is one of three rulers in this neo-renaissance frieze by the 19th-century painter Mikoláš Aleš. He is flanked by his successor Charles IV (King of Bohemia 1346-1378, Holy Roman Emperor), and...

P1080080-2

Ovocný trh 567/15: The Czech Eagle

‘Mír a štěstí buď pod touto střechou’: ‘May peace and happiness reign under this roof’ AD 1897. The House of the Czech Eagle stands in the historic ‘Ovocný trh’ (Fruitmarket), near to the famous House of the Black...

P1060156c-2

Slavíčkova 151/15

The first duke of Bohemia to be officially crowned as King was Vratislav II, in 1085. A strong proponent of the Slavonic rite – which had been banned by the papacy for the previous two centuries – the...

P1060678b-1

Václavské náměstí 792/34

The historic house known as ‘Wiehlův Dům’in Wenceslas Square was built in 1896 by and for the architect Antonín Wiehl (1846-1910), a leading figure of the Czech neo-Renaissance. The facade, by Josef Fanta with murals designed by Mikoláš...

U Rotta, Prague

Malé náměstí 142/3

The highly-decorated facade of the ironmonger’s ‘U Rotta’ (Rott’s) with allegories by Mikoláš Aleš, now home to the Hard Rock Café. Constructed in 1895-7, the building is the work of the architect Eduard Rechziegel.

P1050790b-1

Staroměstské náměstí 552/16

Facade of A. Storch and Son, Bookseller and Publisher, built in 1896 on the site of the former 15th century Marshall’s House. The restored mural (originally by Mikoláš Aleš) reads ‘Saint Wenceslas, Duke of Bohemia, pray for us’....

P1100459b-1

Jilská 527/2 and Skořepka 527/1

This magnificent sgraffito on the theme of War and Peace is by the artist Mikoláš Aleš, whose distinctive murals of Czech legend and history turned the city into a living textbook at the end of the nineteenth century....