Tagged: towers

P1100517b-1

Strossmayerovo nám: Church of St Anthony

At the centre of Strossmayerovo Square in Holešovice stands the neo-gothic Church of Saint Anthony of Padua. If its profile looks faintly familiar, that’s because its soaring towers were deliberately modelled on those of the ancient church of...

Powder Tower, Prague, restored facade

Prašná brána (Powder Tower)

The eastern side of the mediaeval city was guarded by an imposing entrance on the road leading from Prague to the royal mint at Kutná Hora. In the fifteenth century the already 400-year-old gateway was replaced by an...

P1090132b-2

Mariánské náměstí 190/5: Klementinum

The Klementinum has always been at the academic heart of Prague. In 1556, when twelve missionaries arrived in the city to found a Jesuit college, they chose as their new home the complex of buildings near the Charles...

P1090074b-2

Cathedral Church of Saint Vitus

Founded on 21 November 1344, Saint Vitus’s Cathedral in Prague Castle is the work of generations of master builders. The east end (to the right of this picture) was built by the French architect Matthew of Arras, who...

P1070896c-2

Dykova 51/1: Hussite Church of Vinohrady

Similar in date and style to Josef Gočár’s St Wenceslas Church in Vršovice, the nearby Hussite church on Dykova Street is the work of constructivist architect Pavel Janák. The foundation stone was laid in October 1930, but it...

P1070967b-2

Church of Our Lady before Týn

Close to the mediaeval merchants’ courtyard known as the ‘Týn’ (the word comes from the same root as the English word ‘town’), the gothic masterpiece of the Church of Our Lady dominates the Eastern side of Prague’s Old...

Vinohrady water tower

Korunní 725/66: Vinohrady Water Tower

The Vinohradská Vodárna (Vinohrady Water Tower) is a neo-renaissance turret by Antonín Turek, a local architect responsible for many noteworthy public buildings, including the National House of Vinohrady and the innovative Vinohrady Market Hall. Its seven storeys once...

P1070016b-2

Náměstí Svatopluka Čecha: Church of Saint Wenceslas

In 1929, to commemorate the millennial of the martyrdom of St Wenceslas, three major commissions were undertaken for the Catholic Church in Prague. The cathedral of St Vitus – begun in the 14th century – was completed, along...

P1070178b-2

Koulova 1501/15: Hotel International

If the imposing Hotel International in the northern quarter of Dejvice momentarily calls to mind the buildings of downtown New York, that’s deliberate: Stalin’s personal approval of this architectural style was based on his desire to see the...

P1060938b-1

Cathedral of Saint Vitus: South Tower and Golden Gate

The south range of the Cathedral of Saint Vitus in Prague Castle is dominated by the so-called Golden Gate (Zlatá Brána). This ceremonial facade, commissioned by Charles IV in 1370, is covered in a priceless mosaic depicting the...