Štěpánská 543/3: U Varhaníků
This town house in Štěpánská (Saint Stephen’s Street) dates from 1873 and is the work of Václav Kaura and Alois Doubrava.
Strongly inspired by Roman architecture, its neo-classical facade combines many elements that would have been familiar to the author of the first text-book on architecture, Marcus Vitruvius Pollo.
Elements include supporters in the form of two caryatids, twin Corinthian capitals, frieze and pediment. To find out more about architectural terminology, see the menu above or click here.