LATEST ADDITIONS

Budečská 824/30

Neo-classical doorway in the elegant residential district of Vinohrady, appropriately bearing the Latin inscription ‘Welcome’. Once lying outide the city walls, Vinohrady is named after the vineyards which were planted here in the reign of Charles IV –...

Štěpánská 543/3: U Varhaníků

Štěpánská 543/3: U Varhaníků

This town house in Štěpánská (Saint Stephen’s Street) dates from 1873 and is the work of Václav Kaura and Alois Doubrava. Strongly inspired by Roman architecture, its neo-classical facade combines many elements that would have been familiar to...

Kodaňská 559/23

Kodaňská 559/23

Saint Wenceslas (Svatý Václav) was a tenth-century duke of Bohemia and patron of the Czech lands. His good deeds, particularly those carried out with his page Podevin, became the subject of a favourite English Christmas carol, since when...

Londýnská 255/5

Londýnská 255/5

A typical facade along the attractively tree-lined Londýnská (London Street), part of the residential district of Vinohrady. This particular example combines neoclassical elements and horizontal borders with vertical rondocubist motifs.

Jugoslávská 802/2

Jugoslávská 802/2

One of the most fascinating aspects of Prague’s urban plan is the way in which streetnames have been altered to reflect the changing history of the region. A good example can be found here. At the time it...

Čermákova 1290/9

Čermákova 1290/9

A fine 1904 example of a historicist doorway in the residential district of Vinohrady, combining elements of classical, baroque and art nouveau. The street is named after the academic painter Jaroslav Čermák.

Kodaňská 552/35

Kodaňská 552/35

The lack of fresh paint lends a particularly impressive air to this neo-baroque building on Vrsovice’s elegant Kodaňská street.

Kodaňská 554/51

Kodaňská 554/51

An example of an art nouveau facade from the turn of the twentieth century, located on Kodaňská (Copenhagen Street), the outstanding street of period housing in Vršovice.

Šubertova 1353/4

Šubertova 1353/4

Number 4 was built at the start of the twentieth century when the street was known simply as ‘U Divadla’ (Theatre Street) after the nearby Vinohrady Theatre. Later the street was renamed in honour of František Šubert, director...