Václavské náměstí 826/25: Grand Hotel Evropa
The Grand Hotel Evropa (originally the Archduke Stephen) on Wenceslas Square was built in 1889 according to a plan by Josef Schulz. It was renovated in the Art Nouveau style between 1903 and 1905 by Bedřich Bendelmayer. Adjacent is Alois Dryak’s Meran Hotel (formerly the Hotel Garni) from the same period. Both Dryak and Bendelmayer were pupils of Friedrich Ohmann.
Among the hotel’s celebrated guests was Nicholas Winton, who coordinated his humanitarian rescue mission from here in the months leading up to the outbreak of the Second World War. Hundreds of Czech children were registered here by Winton and provided with papers of passage to allow them to travel to England on the Kindertransport trains.