Dražického náměstí 76/12: U tří pštrosů
U tří pštrosů (The Three Ostriches) was built in 1597 on the site of a mediaeval public house at one end of Charles Bridge. This well-preserved mural on the west-facing wall most likely denotes the commercial interests of Jan Fux, a trader in exotic feathers; but two popular myths offer alternative explanations.
One suggests that the painting commemorates a gift of the rare birds to Charles IV; the other that Mrs Fux was magically turned into an ostrich when she pestered her husband for a third bird to add to her existing two.
A few remaining traces of additional fresco-work are to be found on the south-facing wall (below):