Author: Alex

Palace of Industry and Trade, Brno

Palace of Industry and Trade, Brno

In 1928, the city of Brno hosted the Exhibition of Contemporary Culture in Czechoslovakia. For the main pavilion, the design of Josef Kalous was selected: a V-shaped cathedral of reinforced concrete, its two naves terminating in a single...

Blanická 589/5

Blanická 589/5

The classical-style frieze above the entrance to this residential building in Prague’s Vinohrady district presents an idealized portrait of domestic life in communist Czechoslovakia. Typically for a work of socialist realism — the only approved form of public...

Wuchterlova 535/5: Czechoslovak Hussite Church

Wuchterlova 535/5: Czechoslovak Hussite Church

The monumental congregational church in Prague-Dejvice was designed by Jiří Stibral and built by Alois Zima between 1925 and 1927. Combining religious, educational and residential functions, the building today continues to serve as the headquarters of the Czechoslovak...

Na Švihance 1527/9

Na Švihance 1527/9

Na Švihance — an architecturally rich street in Prague 2 close to Riegrovy sady (Rieger Park) — captures very well the blend of historical styles popular in the first decade of the twentieth century. Three of the houses...

Church of Saint Norbert, Střešovice

Church of Saint Norbert, Střešovice

Built between 1890 and 1891 on high ground of Střešovice to the west of Prague, this romanesque-style church provided a much-needed place of worship for a rapidly expanding population. The church’s dedication to Saint Norbert – a 12th...

Polská 1283/18: 'The Assyrian Kings'

Polská 1283/18: ‘The Assyrian Kings’

Prague’s well-heeled residential district of Vinohrady is renowned for its grand apartment blocks, built at the turn of the 20th century in a variety of historicist styles. Their monumental entrances and lavish facades present a panoply of historical,...

Hroznová 82/14, Brno: Vila Stiassni

Hroznová 82/14, Brno: Vila Stiassni

Predating Mies van der Rohe’s nearby Vila Tugendhat by two years, this house — commissioned by textile manufacturer Alfred Stiassni and his wife Hermine — was built to the design of local architect Ernst Wiesner between 1927 and...

Slezská 100/7: House of Agricultural Education

Slezská 100/7: House of Agricultural Education

Agriculture had been studied as an academic discipline since the 1780s in Prague, but it was the emergence of the fledgling state of Czechoslovakia in 1918 that prompted widescale practical reforms to the agricultural economy. These included the...

Church of Saint Stephen, Štěpánská

Church of Saint Stephen, Štěpánská

The 14th-century church of Saint Stephen was one of two ecclesiastical foundations built specifically to serve the parish of Charles IV’s New Town. Construction took place between 1351 and 1392, close to the existing rotunda originally dedicated to...