Author: Alex

Vrtba Gardens

Tucked away behind an unassuming gateway on Karmelitská street in Malá Strana is one of the hidden gems of Prague: the baroque garden constructed for Jan Josef Count of Vrtba, considered to be among the finest of its...

Charles Bridge: Saint Ivo

Saint Ivo Helory was a thirteenth-century parish priest from Brittany who was canonized in 1347. He trained as a lawyer and rapidly made his name as an advocate for orphans, widows and the poor. Two of his cases...

Nerudova 212/16: The Golden Chalice

This renaissance house with its baroque exterior is typical of the residences in this part of the city’s Malá Strana (Lesser Quarter). Many of them carry baroque era cartouches with symbols of animals, birds or religious emblems. These...

Václavské náměstí 775/8: Adam Pharmacy

Václavské náměstí 775/8: Adam Pharmacy

The Adam pharmacy at the lower end of Wenceslas Square was built between 1911 and 1913 by the firm of Matěj Blecha according to a design by Emil Králíček. The same team was also responsible for the nearby...

Křižíkova 552/2

Křižíkova 552/2

These offices of the State Railway Directorate were constructed between 1920 and 1922 by two architects whose names are often linked with train station architecture in the Czech lands: Vojtěch Krch and Gustav Kulhavý. The latter had already...

Valdštejn Gardens and 'Sala Terrena'

Valdštejn Gardens and ‘Sala Terrena’

These impressive formal gardens form part of the palace complex designed for Count Albrecht of Wallenstein by the architectural triumvirate of Giovanni Pieroni, Andrea Spezza and Nicolo Sebregondi.  Covering four-and-a-half acres — nearly two hectares — the gardens...

Basilica of St James the Greater

Basilica of St James the Greater

The church of St James the Greater (sv. Jakub Větší) was founded in 1232 in Prague’s Old Town, possibly as a shrine to hold a relic of St James acquired by the Přemyslid king Otakar I. By 1244...

Spálená 82/4: Dům Diamant

Spálená 82/4: Dům Diamant

Until February 1912, this corner building in Prague’s New Town was due to be reconstructed in a traditional historicist manner, more sympathetic to the baroque style of the Church of the Holy Trinity next door. However, some time...

Vodičkova 708/35: U Červeného pole

Vodičkova 708/35: U Červeného pole

This two-storey townhouse ‘U Červeného pole’ (‘The Red Field’) is an ancient survivor in a street otherwise dominated by much taller buildings from the 1900s, such as the nearby ‘U Myšáka’. The earliest records show that until 1397...

Moskevská 77/4

Moskevská 77/4

Of the many celebrated Czech architects of the first decade of the twentieth century, perhaps the most prolific was the Austrian-born Osvald Polívka. Best known for civic projects such as Prague’s new City Hall (1911) and Municipal House...