Strossmayerovo náměstí: Church of St Anthony
At the centre of Strossmayer Square in Holešovice stands the neo-gothic Church of Saint Anthony of Padua. If its profile looks faintly familiar, that’s because its soaring towers were deliberately modelled on those of the ancient church of Our Lady before Týn in the Old Town. The church was built between 1908 and 1911 to a plan by the architect František Mikš, who also collaborated on the Basilica of SS Peter and Paul at Vyšehrad.
The towers house two important bells: that in the right tower dates from 1572 and was cast by the legendary bell-founder Brikcí, or Briccius, of Cimperk; the left tower contains a copy of the American Liberty Bell of 1753, presented by President Woodrow Wilson to T.G. Masaryk in 1918 on the occasion of the foundation of the Czechoslovak state.