Tagged: windows

Karlova Koruna chateau, Chlumec

Karlova Koruna, Chlumec nad Cidlinou

The village of Chlumec, fifty miles east of Prague, came into the possession of the noble family of Kinský at the start of the seventeenth century.  In 1721, Count František Ferdinand Kinský invited the baroque architect Jan Blažej...

P1010350

Prague Castle: Ludvík Wing and ‘Bull’ Staircase

Halfway along the impressive southern rampart of Prague Castle stands the Ludvík wing, a five-storey bastion built between 1503 and 1509 and named after Ludvík Jagellonský, ruler of Bohemia from 1516 to 1526. Its architect, the master builder...

Na Petynce art nouveau

Na Petynce 395/41

Caught between two highways that sweep westwards to Prague airport, the suburbs of Střešovice and Břevnov retain a curiously quiet, semi-rural atmosphere. On their slopes can still be found the traces of numerous baroque farmsteads and estates; one...

Church of Saint Norbert, Prague

Church of Saint Norbert, Střešovice

Built between 1890 and 1891 on high ground of Střešovice to the west of Prague, this romanesque-style church provided a much-needed place of worship for a rapidly expanding population. The church’s dedication to Saint Norbert – a 12th...

Okoř Castle

Okoř Castle

The ruins of this mid-fourteenth-century castle lie about seven miles northwest of Prague. The name Okoř is thought to be related to the word ‘kořen’, or ‘root’, and is the subject of a colourful tale in which Přemysl...

P1120778c-3

Václavské náměstí 846/1: Koruna building

This landmark tower at the lower end of Wenceslas Square was designed by the architects Antonín Pfeiffer and Matěj Blecha and constructed between 1912 and 1914 on the site of the former Vienna Cafe. Typically for its period,...

vrsovice2-1

Petrohradská 141/52: Vila Jitřenka

This villa by the banks of the Botič – currently home to the Prague Gentlemen’s Fly Fishing Club – dates from 1738, and is therefore only slightly younger than the nearby Church of St Nicholas, the oldest extant...

P1110288b-2

Štefánikova 68/12: Portheimka

In 1722, the celebrated Prague architect Kilián Ignác Dientzenhofer purchased a plot of land formerly held by the Jesuits, where his patron Count Jan Václav Michna already owned a substantial garden. Over the course of the next three...

Národní 1010/9: Topič Gallery

In 1883 the publisher František Topič opened his first bookshop here on Národní třída (National Avenue). From its central location opposite the National Theatre, Topič was able to exert great influence as a promoter of graphic design, and...

Powder Tower, Prague, restored facade

Prašná brána (Powder Tower)

The eastern side of the mediaeval city was guarded by an imposing entrance on the road leading from Prague to the royal mint at Kutná Hora. In the fifteenth century the already 400-year-old gateway was replaced by an...