Tagged: trades

P1130674sm

Blanická 1971/19: Business Academy

Kamelot, Karel Dvořák, 1925 The Business Academy of Prague, founded in the district of Karlín in 1909, was obliged to move to larger premises in Vinohrady in 1925. Its new home was a constructivist building by František Kavalír...

Brno exhibition hall interior

Palace of Industry and Trade, Brno

In 1928, the city of Brno hosted the Exhibition of Contemporary Culture in Czechoslovakia. For the main pavilion, the design of Josef Kalous was selected: a V-shaped cathedral of reinforced concrete, its two naves terminating in a single...

P1000148b

Slezská 2000/9: National Tobacco Company

Now the municipal court of Prague, this great ship of a building was constructed between 1926 and 1928 as the headquarters of the national Tobacco Company. As a young man, the architect, Alois Dryák, had been responsible for...

House of Agriculture, Prague

Slezská 100/7: House of Agricultural Education

Agriculture had been studied as an academic discipline since the 1780s in Prague, but it was the emergence of the fledgling state of Czechoslovakia in 1918 that prompted widescale practical reforms to the agricultural economy. These included the...

P1120827b-5

Větrná ulička, Liberec: Waldstein houses

Houses with exposed timber frames (fachwerk) are a rare sight in the Czech Republic, but in towns where German influence was historically strong, there remain some good examples. In Liberec, this narrow lane near the main square has...

P1120302b-2

Vinohradská 1200/50: Vinohradská tržnice

The distinctive russet-coloured Vinohradská tržnice (Vinohrady market hall) was constructed on the site of a former machine factory in 1902, one of several new covered marketplaces built at that time to serve Prague’s rapidly expanding population. The neo-renaissance...

P1100538b-2

Výstaviště Exhibition Grounds

In 1791 a vast outdoor exhibition took place in Prague to mark the coronation (as King of Bohemia) of the Holy Roman Emperor Leopold II. The celebrations included the first performance of Mozart’s penultimate opera, La Clemenza di...

Podskalí Customs House

Rašínovo nábřeží 412/30: Podskalí Customs House

Prior to the construction of the half-mile-long Rašín Embankment in 1904, visitors would have passed among the streets and low wooden buildings of ‘Podskalí’, a hamlet named for its position ‘under the rock’ of Vysehrad, the ancient fortified...

P1080784b-2

U Zvonařky

This fine ornamental staircase, along with its companion on the opposite side of the road, connects the high ground of the New Town with that of Vinohrady. The upper street on this side, U Zvonařky (‘Bellmaker’s’) is named in...

P1060961

Úvoz 169/6: U tři seker

‘U tři seker’ (The Three Axes) is one of several houses on this street in Prague’s Castle District to retain their original house signs. This one refers to the story that a carpenter once lived here, although the...