Tagged: Prague 7

P1020036b

Expo 58 Pavilion, Letenské sady 1500/80

On the eastern slopes of Letná hill, overlooking the Vltava, this unusual modernist pavilion looks as if it has been teleported from some future time into its present location. In actual fact that’s not far off the truth....

IMG_4020b-6

Praha-Bubny Railway Station

The first trains passed through this northern suburb of Prague in 1850, but it was not until 1873 that a station was constructed to service the coal industry that had grown up in the loop of the Vltava....

P1100538b-2

Výstaviště Exhibition Grounds

In 1791 a vast outdoor exhibition took place in Prague to mark the coronation (as King of Bohemia) of the Holy Roman Emperor Leopold II. The celebrations included the first performance of Mozart’s penultimate opera, La Clemenza di...

P1100566-2

Královská obora 56: Governor’s Summer Palace

On a high ridge overlooking Prague’s Stromovka park stands the impressive Místodržitelský letohrádek (Governor’s Summer Palace). Though extensively modified in Strawberry Hill style between 1804 and 1805 by Georg Fischer, its tower contains an original gothic staircase dating...

P1100517b-1

Strossmayerovo nám: Church of St Anthony

At the centre of Strossmayerovo Square in Holešovice stands the neo-gothic Church of Saint Anthony of Padua. If its profile looks faintly familiar, that’s because its soaring towers were deliberately modelled on those of the ancient church of...

P1090194b-2

U trojského zámku 1/4: Troja Chateau

This fine baroque chateau to the north of Prague was built between 1678 and 1695 for Václav Vojtěch, Count of Šternberk, according to a design by the prominent Dijon architect Jean-Baptiste Mathey. The monumental staircase by Georg and...

P1080236b-2

Podplukovníka Sochora 694/24

John of Luxembourg (King of Bohemia 1310-1346) is one of three rulers in this neo-renaissance frieze by the 19th-century painter Mikoláš Aleš. He is flanked by his successor Charles IV (King of Bohemia 1346-1378, Holy Roman Emperor), and...

P1090208-2

Dukelských hrdinů 530/47: Veletržní Palác

The Veletržní Palác (Trade Fair Palace) was built according to plans by Josef Fuchs and Oldřich Tyl between 1925 and 1928, and was a source of great interest to – among others – Le Corbusier. It fulfilled its...

P1050549b-1

Dukelských hrdinů 904/44

The name of this street honours the heroes of the Battle of Dukla Pass (1944), for the Czechoslovak army one of the bloodiest engagements of the Second World War. Forty years earlier, when the street was still known...

Přemsyl the Ploughman

U akademie 283/1

This art-nouveau detail is from an apartment block of 1908 built by Karel Hübschmann in the district of Bubeneč. In the 19th and early 20th centuries the ancient foundation myth of Prague became a crucial element of the...