Tagged: Prague 5

P1110288b-2

Štefánikova 68/12: Portheimka

In 1722, the celebrated Prague architect Kilián Ignác Dientzenhofer purchased a plot of land formerly held by the Jesuits, where his patron Count Jan Václav Michna already owned a substantial garden. Over the course of the next three...

Na Klavirce art nouveau facade, Prague

Na Václavce 175/46

This beautifully-decorated villa was designed in the early 1900s by the Smíchov-based architect František Kavalír, a pupil of Jan Kotěra. Its name ‘Na Klavírce’ records the farmstead Klavírka which previously stood here when the hill above Smíchov was...

P1090701d-2

Kříženeckého nám. 322/5: Barrandov Film Studios

Perched on a rocky bluff on the west bank of the Vltava, the Barrandov studios were intended as the centrepiece of a broader plan – an entire art deco suburb designed to accommodate the burgeoning 1930s film industry....

P1090049-1

Carpathian Church of the Archangel Michael

The southern flank of Prague’s Petřín Hill is dominated by an extensive park created in the popular ‘English’ style for the sixth Prince Kinský between 1827 and 1831. Near the summit of the wooded hill is a curious...

P1070574b-2

Most Legií: Bridge of the Legions

These copper-domed turrets, recently restored, were originally toll-booths for the nine-span stone bridge constructed between 1898 and 1901 and named after the first emperor of Austria, Franz I. Designed by the architect Antonín Balšánek to replace an earlier...

P1050731b

Zborovská 1204/10

Where these  apartments now stand, there was once open ground, sloping down to the river from the house built by the baroque architect Kilián Ignac Dientzenhofer. Later there came a church, and finally in 1910, rank upon rank...

P1050734b-1

Lesnická 1155/8

This flying art nouveau figure from 1907 looks like an allegorical representation of vanity: she is holding a mirror after all, and her floating cloak seems to be impossibly thin and insubstantial. But the clue is in the...

P1050728b-1

Náměstí 14. Října 83/15

The coat-of-arms of Smichov appear in the art nouveau gable of Alois Čenský’s Smíchov market-hall (1906-1909). Superimposed on the arms of Prague are two small inscutcheons: one shows the double-tailed lion of Bohemia, the other a silver tower...

P1050752b-1

Mělnická 624/4

One of the most commonly-found motifs of the art nouveau period is the combination of a representative female head surrounded by branches and leaves of the linden tree. This collection of national symbols took on particular significance in...

helenka-1

Na Václavce 1078/30: Vila Helenka

The Vila Helenka was designed and built in 1903 by the architect Alois Korda for his own use. An outstanding, if quirky, example of Art Nouveau sgraffito, the facade was refurbished with a grant from the city of...