Tagged: neo-renaissance

P1030290

Vyšehrad Cemetery and Slavín

Vyšehrad cemetery was established in 1869 as a national burial ground for eminent Czechs from all walks of life, but especially those from the arts, the sciences, and the world of politics. Among its well-known residents are the...

P1120805c-5

Liberec Town Hall

The north Bohemian town of Liberec may be only seventy miles from Prague but its origins as an important centre of the Flemish and German textile trade are evident everywhere – not least in the soaring opulence of...

P1100064b-5

Hybernská 11 and Havlíčkova 1: Lannův dům

Built on the site of the fifteenth-century House of the Black Hare, this neo-renaissance palace in the Venetian style was erected in 1857 for Vojtěch Lanna, founder of the Kladno steelworks. At one time thought to be the...

P1120302b-2

Vinohradská 1200/50: Vinohradská tržnice

The distinctive russet-coloured Vinohradská tržnice (Vinohrady market hall) was constructed on the site of a former machine factory in 1902, one of several new covered marketplaces built at that time to serve Prague’s rapidly expanding population. The neo-renaissance...

P1110274b-1

Na Smetance 505/1

This neo-renaissance secondary school in Prague 2 was constructed by Josef Franzl from a plan by the great Prague architect Antonin Turek, who was also responsible for the beautiful Vinohrady water tower and numerous other public buildings in...

P1100538b-2

Výstaviště Exhibition Grounds

In 1791 a vast outdoor exhibition took place in Prague to mark the coronation (as King of Bohemia) of the Holy Roman Emperor Leopold II. The celebrations included the first performance of Mozart’s penultimate opera, La Clemenza di...

P1100980b-1

Moskevská 120/21: Rangherka

Giuseppe Rangheri was born in Gora, on the shores of Lake Como, and came to Prague in the late 1700s when there was already a thriving silk market. He set up his original mulberry plantation near Wenceslas Square,...

P1100867b-1

Gröbe Villa (Grébovka) interior details

Between 2003 and 2008, the sumptuous interior of the Gröbe Villa in Vinohrady was remodelled in the style of Josef Schulz’s original design by the architectural husband and wife team Michal Hron and Hedvika Hronová. The villa, originally...

P1100501b-1

Karlovo náměstí 288/17

Originally a low building housing a brewery, the house on Charles Square known as U Sedlerů was rebuilt in 1899 by Rudolf Tereba. Its new neo-renaissance facade was decorated with a splendid art nouveau frieze depicting the establishment...