Tagged: music

P1030290

Vyšehrad Cemetery and Slavín

Vyšehrad cemetery was established in 1869 as a national burial ground for eminent Czechs from all walks of life, but especially those from the arts, the sciences, and the world of politics. Among its well-known residents are the...

Black Pony house sign, Prague

Malé náměstí 456/14: The Black Pony

The Black Pony stands in the heart of the Old Town, one of a row of attractive renaissance town-houses which in the early fifteenth century were home to the city’s first pharmacies. Its neighbours include The Golden Lily...

P1110777b-4

Wilsonova 101/4: State Opera

In the early nineteenth century Prague was home to a substantial number of German speakers, especially among the nobility and professional classes. In the light of the Czech National Revival, however, their linguistic and cultural dominance came under...

P1110288b-2

Štefánikova 68/12: Portheimka

In 1722, the celebrated Prague architect Kilián Ignác Dientzenhofer purchased a plot of land formerly held by the Jesuits, where his patron Count Jan Václav Michna already owned a substantial garden. Over the course of the next three...

Clam-Gallas Palace, Prague

Husova 158/20: Clam-Gallas Palace

Descended from a distinguished Austrian family, Count Johann Wenzel (Jan Václav) von Gallas managed an extensive diplomatic portfolio. As well as being Ambassador to London and the Hague during the War of the Spanish Succession, he was also...

P1080988-2

Ke Karlovu 462/20: ‘Villa Amerika’

Known principally for his many sacred buildings, including the cathedral of Saint Nicholas and that of Saints Cyril and Methodius, the prolific Prague architect Kilián Ignác Dientzenhofer was also responsible for a number of magnificent secular works, among...

P1080479b-2

Náměstí Jana Palacha 79/1: Rudolfinum

In 1885, the Böhmische Sparkasse (Czech Savings Bank) commissioned the architects of the National Theatre, Josef Zítek and his pupil Josef Schulz, to design a new art gallery and concert complex on an undeveloped riverside plot where in...

P1070589b-2

Masarykovo nábřeží 248/16, Hlahol building

This art nouveau house on the right bank of the Vltava was built between 1903 and 1905 for the Prague choral society ‘Hlahol’ – whose name means something like ‘clamour’ or ‘peal’. The interior is decorated with a...

P1060695-1

Železná 540/11: Estates Theatre

The Estates Theatre (Stavovské Divadlo) was designed and built between 1781 and 1783 by the architect Anton Hoffenecker. Count František Antonin Nostitz-Rieneck, who commissioned it, was one of the leading proponents of Bohemian independence in the 18th century,...

P1050447-1

Příběnická 942/1

A relief depicting Cecilia, patron saint of music, seated at a chamber organ, appears on the southwest-facing wall of this house in Žižkov.