Tagged: murals

Colloredo Mansfeld Palace, Prague

Karlova 189/2: Colloredo-Mansfeld Palace

Between 1736 and 1737 the original renaissance palace by Giovanni Battista Aliprandi was rebuilt in the high baroque style for Prince Paul Henry of Mansfeld, probably by the architect Franz Ignaz Prée. Despite late rococo styling throughout the...

P1120125b-5

Hellichova 553/18

Between the left bank of the river Vltava and Petřín Hill stand two churches dedicated to St Lawrence (Svatý Vavřinec). The more substantial of the two, on the hill itself, is a baroque structure built on the site...

Valdstejn Palace Prague Senate

Valdštejn Palace (Senate)

Built on the site of an existing complex belonging to Jan Rudolf Trčka of Lípa, this monumental baroque palace below Prague Castle was completed between the years 1623 and 1630 for Count Albrecht von Wallenstein – in Czech...

P1110368b-3

Church of SS Cyril and Methodius, Karlín

In the year 863, the Orthodox missionary brothers Cyril and Methodius began translating the Bible into the language known as Old Church Slavonic, using a specially-formulated script from which was derived the later ‘Cyrillic’ alphabet. Their work enabled...

P1100538b-2

Výstaviště Exhibition Grounds

In 1791 a vast outdoor exhibition took place in Prague to mark the coronation (as King of Bohemia) of the Holy Roman Emperor Leopold II. The celebrations included the first performance of Mozart’s penultimate opera, La Clemenza di...

Lyčkovo náměstí 460/6: Elementary School

In September 1424, the radical Hussite warrior Jan Žižka (who four years earlier had won a significant victory against the Holy Roman Emperor Sigismund at Vitkov Hill) signed a treaty of reconciliation with the moderate Utraquists which temporarily...

P1080717b-2

Ječná 519/34

This framed Mother and Child appears on the ornamental facade of a neo-baroque house in Prague’s New Town. The building, at the corner of the major thoroughfare Ječná (Barley Street), is home to a traditional Czech pub named...

P1100501b-1

Karlovo náměstí 288/17: U Sedlerů

Originally a low building housing a brewery, the house on Charles Square known as U Sedlerů was rebuilt in 1899 by Rudolf Tereba. Its new neo-renaissance facade was decorated with a splendid art nouveau frieze depicting the establishment...

P1090905b-2

Josefská 28/8: Church of Saint Thomas

Dating from the 14th century, this parish church in Prague’s Malá Strana (Lesser Quarter) district was restored on several occasions, most notably by Kilian Ignac Dientzenhofer in the 1720s. Among the many secrets contained within its grounds is...