Tagged: Ladislav Šaloun

P1110078b-2

Praha hlavní nádraží (Main Station)

A mere thirty years after the arrival of the first railways in Prague, the urgent need for expansion resulted in the demolition of the original neo-renaissance Franz Josef station. Its replacement – built between 1901 and 1909 to...

P1080311b-2

Náměstí Republiky 1090/5: Municipal House

The Municipal House (Obecní dům) was built between 1905 and 1912 on the site of the former Royal Court as an official centre for Czech social and cultural affairs. When an open competition for its design produced no...

Staroměstské náměstí: Jan Hus Memorial

This monumental bronze of the religious reformer Master Jan Hus – flanked by victorious troops of the 15th century Hussite wars but also by the exiled protestants of the 17th century Thirty Years’ War – was begun by...

Image1c

Vršovické náměstí 67/8: Civic Savings Bank

The Občanská Záložna (Civic Savings Bank) in Vršovice was founded in 1888, and these splendid art nouveau headquarters date from 1912. The principal architect was Antonín Balšánek, whose name is grandly inscribed in the vestibule along with those...

Slovenská 2499/4: Šaloun Villa

This extraordinary facade is the entrance to an art nouveau studio built between 1908 and 1911 by Ladislav Šaloun (1870-1946), the Czech sculptor whose main claim to fame is the memorial to Jan Hus in Prague’s Old Town...