Tagged: film locations

Veltrusy Chateau

Situated on the banks of the river Vltava about twenty miles north of Prague, the chateau of Veltrusy was commissioned in 1704 for the counts of Chotek. Work began around the year 1706 to a tightly symmetrical plan...

Colloredo Mansfeld Palace, Prague

Karlova 189/2: Colloredo-Mansfeld Palace

Between 1736 and 1737 the original renaissance palace by Giovanni Battista Aliprandi was rebuilt in the high baroque style for Prince Paul Henry of Mansfeld, probably by the architect Franz Ignaz Prée. Despite late rococo styling throughout the...

Valdstejn Palace Prague Senate

Valdštejn Palace (Senate)

Built on the site of an existing complex belonging to Jan Rudolf Trčka of Lípa, this monumental baroque palace below Prague Castle was completed between the years 1623 and 1630 for Count Albrecht von Wallenstein – in Czech...

P1090701d-2

Kříženeckého nám. 322/5: Barrandov Film Studios

Perched on a rocky bluff on the west bank of the Vltava, the Barrandov studios were intended as the centrepiece of a broader plan – an entire art deco suburb designed to accommodate the burgeoning 1930s film industry....

P1090510b

Lichtenštejnský palác (Liechtenstein Palace)

There have been Princes of Liechtenstein resident in Prague since the early 1600s. Karel – the first prince and founder of the dynasty – was put in charge of the execution of the leaders of the Bohemian Estates...

Invalidovna, Prague

Sokolovská 24/136: Invalidovna

Taking his cue from the construction of Les Invalides in Paris, Count Petr Strozzi left directions for the foundation of a similar institution in Prague for veterans and wounded soldiers. Work commenced in the district of Karlin in...

P1070064b-2

Náměstí Míru: Church of Saint Ludmila

Saint Ludmila, to whom the basilica in Náměstí Míru is dedicated, was the grandmother of ‘Good King’ Wenceslas I. She it was who brought up the future ruler, instructing him in language and literature and of course the...

P1060993b-1

Strahovské nádvoří 132/1: Strahov Library

The Strahov monastery has been home to the order of Premonstratensians (White Canons) since 1143, and to the relics of Saint Norbert – the order’s founder – since 1627. The complex of buildings is remarkable for its painted...