Tagged: Alois Čenský

Alois_Censky_1895Alois Čenský (1868 – 1954) was professor of civil engineering at the Czech Technical University in Prague and also taught in Plzeň and Písek. His buildings include the magnificent neo-renaissance theatre in Vinohrady and the Municipal Meeting-house in Plzeň.

 

P1020737b

Náměstí Míru 1450/7: Vinohrady Theatre

The Municipal Theatre of Královské (‘Royal’) Vinohrady, standing guard at one corner of Náměstí Míru (Peace Square), is among Prague’s most representative neo-renaissance buildings. Work commenced in February 1905, according to a winning design by the the architect...

P1050728b-1

Náměstí 14. Října 83/15

The coat-of-arms of Smichov appear in the art nouveau gable of Alois Čenský’s Smíchov market-hall (1906-1909). Superimposed on the arms of Prague are two small inscutcheons: one shows the double-tailed lion of Bohemia, the other a silver tower...