LATEST ADDITIONS

Statue of Karel Hynek Macha

Petřínské sady: Statue of Karel Hynek Mácha

This full-height bronze of the illustrious poet Karel Hynek Mácha was begun in 1910 (the centenary of his birth) and placed on Petřin Hill, not far from the writer’s birthplace on Újezd street, two years later. In the...

P1110368b-3

Church of SS Cyril and Methodius, Karlín

In the year 863, the Orthodox missionary brothers Cyril and Methodius began translating the Bible into the language known as Old Church Slavonic, using a specially-formulated script from which was derived the later ‘Cyrillic’ alphabet. Their work enabled...

Hussite Church, Vrsovice

Moskevská 967/34: Hussite Church, Vršovice

Since the early 1920s, pressure had grown for a Hussite church in the neighbourhood of Vršovice. The plan was finally realized in 1930 by the architect Karel Truksa, and the church constructed within a year by Václav Nekvasil...

P1100588b-2

Mahlerovy sady 2699/1: Žižkov TV tower

The first television signals in Prague were transmitted from Petřín Hill in 1953. By 1974, however, there was a clear need for a purpose-built high-power transmitter, and plans started to be drawn up for a replacement. The result,...

P1110373b-1

Vítkov Memorial

Vítkov Hill, due east of Prague’s historic centre, has always been an important strategic site. It was here in 1420 that Jan Žižka, scourge of the Holy Roman Empire and zealous warrior of the Hussite cause, led his...

P1110274b-1

Na Smetance 505/1

This neo-renaissance secondary school in Prague 2 was constructed by Josef Franzl from a plan by the great Prague architect Antonin Turek, who was also responsible for the beautiful Vinohrady water tower and numerous other public buildings in...

P1110356b-2

Archivní 2257/4: National Archive

The new National Archive was constructed between 1994 and 1997 to a plan by the architect Iva Knappová. The bold decoration of its ceramic surface lends a certain fluidity to the building’s otherwise forbidding exterior: and its pattern,...

P1110288b-2

Štefánikova 68/12: Portheimka

In 1722, the celebrated Prague architect Kilián Ignác Dientzenhofer purchased a plot of land formerly held by the Jesuits, where his patron Count Jan Václav Michna already owned a substantial garden. Over the course of the next three...

Národní 1010/9: Topič Gallery

In 1883 the publisher František Topič opened his first bookshop here on Národní třída (National Avenue). From its central location opposite the National Theatre, Topič was able to exert great influence as a promoter of graphic design, and...

P1100538b-2

Výstaviště Exhibition Grounds

In 1791 a vast outdoor exhibition took place in Prague to mark the coronation (as King of Bohemia) of the Holy Roman Emperor Leopold II. The celebrations included the first performance of Mozart’s penultimate opera, La Clemenza di...