LATEST ADDITIONS

Veltrusy Chateau

Situated on the banks of the river Vltava about twenty miles north of Prague, the chateau of Veltrusy was commissioned in 1704 for the counts of Chotek. Work began around the year 1706 to a tightly symmetrical plan...

P1130100b-4

Pilgrimage Church of Our Lady Victorious, Bílá Hora

The high ground to the west of Prague called Bílá Hora was the scene of one of the earliest engagements of the Thirty Years’ War. The short but significant ‘Battle of the White Mountain’ of 1620 ended in...

P1120843-4

Polská 2400/1: Sokol building, Vinohrady

Thirty years before the foundation of the modern Olympic movement, the German-born art historian Miroslav Tyrš revived the ancient ideal of physical and spiritual improvement in the Czech lands. His brainchild, the Sokol (‘Falcon’) organization, proposed a strict...

P1120827b-5

Větrná ulička, Liberec: Waldstein houses

Houses with exposed timber frames (fachwerk) are a rare sight in the Czech Republic, but in towns where German influence was historically strong, there remain some good examples. In Liberec, this narrow lane near the main square has...

P1120805c-5

Liberec Town Hall

The north Bohemian town of Liberec may be only seventy miles from Prague but its origins as an important centre of the Flemish and German textile trade are evident everywhere – not least in the soaring opulence of...

P1100064b-5

Hybernská 11 and Havlíčkova 1: Lannův dům

Built on the site of the fifteenth-century House of the Black Hare, this neo-renaissance palace in the Venetian style was erected in 1857 for Vojtěch Lanna, founder of the Kladno steelworks. At one time thought to be the...

Václavské náměstí 846/1: Koruna building

This landmark tower at the lower end of Wenceslas Square was designed by the architects Antonín Pfeiffer and Matěj Blecha and constructed between 1912 and 1914 on the site of the former Vienna Cafe. Typically for its period,...

The Golden Snake, Prague

Liliová 17 and Karlova 18: The Golden Snake

By common consent, the first coffee-seller appeared in Prague in 1714. Originally from Damascus, the lively Armenian entrepreneur Gorgos Hatalah worked the streets of Malá Strana selling ‘Turkish’ coffee heated on a portable brazier, and building a reputation...

Colloredo Mansfeld Palace, Prague

Karlova 189/2: Colloredo-Mansfeld Palace

Between 1736 and 1737 the original renaissance palace by Giovanni Battista Aliprandi was rebuilt in the high baroque style for Prince Paul Henry of Mansfeld, probably by the architect Franz Ignaz Prée. Despite late rococo styling throughout the...

P1120742-2

Křižovnické náměstí 191/3: Monastery and church of St Francis

Agnes of Bohemia, sister of King Wenceslas I, was responsible for founding the very first Franciscan institutions in Bohemia. Her personal friendship with St Clare of Assisi – they corresponded with each other for twenty years although they...