LATEST ADDITIONS

P1050330b-1

Francouzská 966/33

Outside the immediate centre of Prague, the experimentation with neo-baroque styling becomes, if anything, more extravagant and florid. Many turn-of-the-century apartments along Francouzská (France Street) are laden with deeply-recessed pediments and cartouches, filled with heavy swags and flourishes...

House of the Stone Bell, Prague

Staroměstské náměstí 605/13: The Stone Bell

One of the earliest surviving domestic residences in the city is the exquisite Dům u kamenného zvonu (House of the Stone Bell) in the Old Town Square. The house is named after the bell carved into a corner...

P1100992b

Na Královce 508/3

Dating from 1908, this fine neo-baroque apartment building presents its beautifully-proportioned facade to the quiet street of Na Královce, adjacent to the Grébovka Villa. Since 2011, this house has been home to the offices of The Prague Vitruvius.

P1050268b-1

Krymská 103/27

Relief of a young woman or angel with a cornucopia, representing plenty. The art nouveau sculpture appears on the facade of an otherwise relatively ordinary facade on Krymská (Crimea Street) in Vršovice

P1050286b-1

Staroměstské náměstí 608/10

Arms of the City of Prague: ‘Gules, a tower, triple-towered or, in the open gateway an arm in armour embowed fesseways holding in the hand a sword in bend sinister, all proper.’ The arms, which appear on several...

P1050294b-1

Celetná 562/20

Above a baroque lintel in the Old Town of Prague appears this inscription, dated 1773: ‘To him and those who come after him’ (‘postebis’ corrected to ‘posteris’). The building is now part of the Philosophical Faculty of Charles...

P1050293b-1

V kolkovně 910/8

The Sanitation Act of 1893 led directly to the destruction of much of the Old Jewish Town of Prague; what replaced the centuries-old ghetto were tall art-nouveau buildings in the Parisian style. Indeed, the glistening new thoroughfare that...

P1050289b-1

U obecního dvora 798/5: House of the Censors

The short mediaeval street near the Convent of Saint Agnes has a fascinating history. In the Middle Ages, Prague’s Municipal Court (Obecní dvůr) had its seat here. Two doors away sat the Censors, whose job it was to...

P1050266b-1

Charkovská 399/16

At the end of the nineteenth century, the demand for new housing led to an explosion of residential buildings beyond the traditional boundaries of the city. Charkovská (or as it was first known, Nerudova) twenty minutes from the...