LATEST ADDITIONS

Marianska Tynice entrance

Mariánská Týnice, Church of the Annunciation

Originally a shrine to the Virgin built by the Cistercian order from nearby Plasy, the Church of the Annunciation at Mariánská Týnice rises impressively from the open countryside of Western Bohemia, just north of Plzeň. The records tell that...

Panenske Brezany Chapel St Anne

Upper Chateau and Chapel of St Anne, Panenské Břežany

The Benedictine convent of St George at Prague Castle was already long established when, in 1228, King Otakar I of Bohemia gifted the nearby village of Břežany to the nuns. The village, whose name comes from a word...

Na Petynce art nouveau

Na Petynce 395/41

Caught between two highways that sweep westwards to Prague airport, the suburbs of Střešovice and Břevnov retain a curiously quiet, semi-rural atmosphere. On their slopes can still be found the traces of numerous baroque farmsteads and estates; one...

Hradec Kralove museum

Museum of Eastern Bohemia, Hradec Králové

In 1897, the young artists of the Viennese secession sent shockwaves through Europe with their radical new approach to art and architecture. While not completely throwing out the neoclassical rulebook, their boldly geometric designs elevated decorative features to...

Brno exhibition hall interior

Palace of Industry and Trade, Brno

In 1928, the city of Brno hosted the Exhibition of Contemporary Culture in Czechoslovakia. For the main pavilion, the design of Josef Kalous was selected: a V-shaped cathedral of reinforced concrete, its two naves terminating in a single...

Soviet realism bas-relief

Blanická 589/5

The frieze above the entrance to this residential building in Prague’s Vinohrady district presents an idealized portrait of domestic life in communist Czechoslovakia. Typically for a work of socialist realism — the only approved form of public art...

Hussite Church, Dejvice interior

Wuchterlova 535/5

The monumental congregational church in Prague-Dejvice was designed by Jiří Stibral and built by Alois Zima between 1925 and 1927. Combining religious, educational and residential functions, the building today continues to serve as the headquarters of the Czechoslovak...

P1000247b

Na Švihance 1527/9

Na Švihance — an architecturally rich street in Prague 2 close to Riegrovy sady (Rieger Park) — captures very well the blend of historical styles popular in the first decade of the twentieth century. Three of the houses are...

P1000148b

Slezská 2000/9

Now the municipal court of Prague, this great ship of a building was constructed between 1926 and 1928 as the headquarters of the national Tobacco Company. As a young man, the architect, Alois Dryák, had been responsible for...

Church of Saint Norbert, Prague

Church of Saint Norbert, Střešovice

Built between 1890 and 1891 on high ground of Střešovice to the west of Prague, this romanesque-style church provided a much-needed place of worship for a rapidly expanding population. The church’s dedication to Saint Norbert – a 12th...