LATEST ADDITIONS

P1050360b-1

Martinská 8: Church of Saint Martin-in-the-Wall

Neo-classical pediment attached to the gothic north wall of the church of Saint Martin-in-the-Wall in Prague’s Old Town. The inscription, ‘The generous piety of his Servants renovated [this church] to God their Protector’, conceals a chronogram giving the...

P1060914-1

Hradčanské náměstí 56/16: Archbishop’s Palace

The Italian Giovanni Battista Aliprandi is usually thought of as the architect of this building, but Dijon-born architect Jean Baptiste Mathey (responsible for the design of several major buildings in Prague, including Troja Chateau to the north of...

P1060938b-1

Cathedral of Saint Vitus: South Tower and Golden Gate

The south range of the Cathedral of Saint Vitus in Prague Castle is dominated by the so-called Golden Gate (Zlatá Brána). This ceremonial facade, commissioned by Charles IV in 1370, is covered in a priceless mosaic depicting the...

P1060215b-1

Malostranské náměstí: Cathedral of Saint Nicholas

The monumental cathedral of Saint Nicholas was begun in the late 1670s as the centrepiece of the recatholicization of Bohemia following the Thirty Years’ War. In 1702 the great Prague architect Kryštof Dientzenhofer took over the project, finishing...

P1060882-1

Na Dionysce 1717/2

One of four friezes depicting ancient Olympic disciplines (discus, javelin and shot put) decorates the facade of this house on the corner of Zelená and Na Dionysce – aptly named after the Greek god Dionysus. The companion pieces...

P1060795-1

Technická 2710/6: National Technical Library

The design for the new National Technical Library was conceived in 2000 by a team of young architects – Roman Brychta, Adam Halíř, Ondřej Hofmeister and Petr Lešek – following the decision to transfer the collection of 1.2...

P1050876b-1

Svatoslavova 589/9

‘Ave Maria!’: bas-relief in a geometric art-nouveau frame adorns the facade of this townhouse in the southern suburb of Nusle.

P1060588b-1

Maiselova 41/21

Biedermeier-style ornamentation on this frontage of 1911 by Richard Klenka. Maiselova is named after Mordecai Maisel, the celebrated leader of the Jewish community during the Renaissance who, by lending money to Rudolf II during his multiple campaigns against...

P1060592b-1

Pařížská 98/17: Old Synagogue Restaurant

Elaborately painted and gilded stucco-work adorns the facade of The Old Synagogue restaurant in Prague’s Josefov district, designed in 1906 by the architects František Weyr and Richard Klenka of Vlastimil. The latter was a somewhat eccentric figure, who...