LATEST ADDITIONS

P1070134-2

Průhledová 1804/6

In the early 1930s, a group of Prague architects, inspired by the Bauhaus movement (and particularly by the Stuttgart Weissenhofsiedlung of 1927), decided to set up a similar model housing estate in the neighbourhood of Baba, a high...

P1070178b-2

Koulova 1501/15: Hotel International

If the imposing Hotel International in the northern quarter of Dejvice momentarily calls to mind the buildings of downtown New York, that’s deliberate: Stalin’s personal approval of this architectural style was based on his desire to see the...

P1060678b-1

Václavské náměstí 792/34: Wiehlův Dům

The historic house known as ‘Wiehlův Dům’ in Wenceslas Square was built in 1896 by and for the architect Antonín Wiehl (1846-1910), a leading figure of the Czech neo-Renaissance. The facade, by Josef Fanta with murals designed by...

P1060993b-1

Strahovské nádvoří 132/1: Strahov Library

The Strahov monastery has been home to the order of Premonstratensians (White Canons) since 1143, and to the relics of Saint Norbert – the order’s founder – since 1627. The complex of buildings is remarkable for its painted...

P1060908-1

Nerudova 233/47: U dvou slunců

Devotees of Pablo Neruda, the Chilean Nobel Prize winner, will be aware that he adopted his pen-name in homage to the earlier Czech poet Jan Neruda, who spent his formative years at the baroque House of the Two...

P1060961

Úvoz 169/6: U tři seker

‘U tři seker’ (The Three Axes) is one of several houses on this street in Prague’s Castle District to retain their original house signs. This one refers to the story that a carpenter once lived here, although the...

P1060963b-1

Úvoz 161/22: U zrcadla

Madonna and Child with the attributes of Justice: stucco decoration on the facade of the house ‘U zrcadla’ (The Mirror), dating from 1729. Enthroned beneath a gilded baldachin, the Queen of Heaven cradles the Christ child. He holds...

P1060952-1

Prague Castle: Matthias Gate

‘D[ominus] Matthias El[ectus] Rom[anus] Imp[erator] S[emper] Aug[ustus] Hung[ariae] Boh[emiae] Rex etc. F[ieri] F[ecit] An[n]o MDCXIV’ ‘Master Matthias, elected Roman Emperor, forever August, King of Hungary, Bohemia etc., ordered this to be built in the year 1614’. Actually, he...

P1050360b-1

Martinská 8: Church of Saint Martin-in-the-Wall

Neo-classical pediment attached to the gothic north wall of the church of Saint Martin-in-the-Wall in Prague’s Old Town. The inscription, ‘The generous piety of his Servants renovated [this church] to God their Protector’, conceals a chronogram giving the...

P1060914-1

Hradčanské náměstí 56/16: Archbishop’s Palace

The Italian Giovanni Battista Aliprandi is usually thought of as the architect of this building, but Dijon-born architect Jean Baptiste Mathey (responsible for the design of several major buildings in Prague, including Troja Chateau to the north of...