LATEST ADDITIONS

P1080998b-2

Rašínovo nábřeží 1981/80: ‘Dancing House’

Situated on the right bank of the Vltava close to the National Theatre, this striking piece of contemporary design is the work of the award-winning Canadian architect Frank Gehry, in collaboration with Zagreb-born Vlado Milunić. On its completion...

Polska street Prague facade

Polská 1352/32

The complex patterns on the facade of this 1905 house by Jan Majer and Jan Bláha is suggestive of natural designs such as those of the spider’s web, one reason for including the creature itself. The use of...

Jiriho z Podebrad, Prague

Náměstí Jiřího z Poděbrad: Church of the Sacred Heart

The Church of the Sacred Heart was designed in 1928 by Slovenian architect Jože Plečnik and built between 1929 and 1932. His art deco plan integrates design elements of classical architecture such as pediments, friezes and obelisks, with...

P1070630b-001

Voroněžská 172/24

A fine example of neo-renaissance balconies on the border of Vinohrady and Vršovice

P1070574b-2

Most Legií: Bridge of the Legions

These copper-domed turrets, recently restored, were originally toll-booths for the nine-span stone bridge constructed between 1898 and 1901 and named after the first emperor of Austria, Franz I. Designed by the architect Antonín Balšánek to replace an earlier...

P1060116b-2

Národní 223/2: National Theatre

A theatre was planned for this riverbank site as early as 1844, but it was not until 1862 that the first National Theatre (Národní Divadlo) appeared in the form of a neo-classical building designed by Ignác Vojtěch Ullmann....

P1070589b-2

Masarykovo nábřeží 248/16, Hlahol building

This art nouveau house on the right bank of the Vltava was built between 1903 and 1905 for the Prague choral society ‘Hlahol’ – whose name means something like ‘clamour’ or ‘peal’. The interior is decorated with a...

P1070481b-2

Prague Castle: Spanish Hall

Conceived in the late 1500s by the architect Giovanni Gargioli and completed in 1602-8 by Giovanni Maria Filippi, the Spanish Hall (Španělský sál) is one of the most impressive of Prague Castle’s state rooms. Named after the Spanish...

P1090208-2

Dukelských hrdinů 530/47: Veletržní Palác

The Veletržní Palác (Trade Fair Palace) was built according to plans by Josef Fuchs and Oldřich Tyl between 1925 and 1928, and was a source of great interest to – among others – Le Corbusier. It fulfilled its...

Vozová 1567/8: U Severní Točny

To reach the North Pole became a worldwide obsession in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The American Robert Peary’s arrival there on 6 April 1909 made international headlines, and could well be the explanation for the...