LATEST ADDITIONS

P1070948-1

Vejvodova 445/1

‘Dante Deo nihil nocet invidia, et eo non dante, nihil iuvat labor’ (‘With God’s grace, envy brings no pain; without His grace, all toil’s in vain’); ‘An Gottes Segen ist alles gelegen’ (‘Upon God’s blessing all depends’) AD...

Image1c

Vršovické náměstí 67/8: Civic Savings Bank

The Občanská Záložna (Civic Savings Bank) in Vršovice was founded in 1888, and these splendid art nouveau headquarters date from 1912. The principal architect was Antonín Balšánek, whose name is grandly inscribed in the vestibule along with those...

Slovenská 2499/4: Šaloun Villa

This extraordinary facade is the entrance to an art nouveau studio built between 1908 and 1911 by Ladislav Šaloun (1870-1946), the Czech sculptor whose main claim to fame is the memorial to Jan Hus in Prague’s Old Town...

Vinohrady water tower

Korunní 725/66: Vinohrady Water Tower

The Vinohradská Vodárna (Vinohrady Water Tower) is a neo-renaissance turret by Antonín Turek, a local architect responsible for many noteworthy public buildings, including the National House of Vinohrady and the innovative Vinohrady Market Hall. Its seven storeys once...

P1070648b-1

U Havlíčkových sadů 1526/7

Details from the facade of a splendid range of town houses perched on the southern edge of Vinohrady overlooking the grounds of the Grebovka villa and the Nusle valley beyond. The particular signature of the architect Edvard Paroubek...

P1070652b-2

U Havlíčkových sadů 422/1

Delicate ironwork grilles such as this one form the balconies of several of the magnificent art nouveau apartment buildings which border the northern side of Havlíčkový Sady. This house in the late art nouveau style dates from 1911-12,...

Gröbe Villa: Gazebo

The Vinični Altán, or Vineyard Gazebo, was built between 1879 and 1881 as a summerhouse for the neighbouring Villa Gröbe (Grébovka) by the estate architects Antonín Barvitius and Josef Schulz. Overlooking the slopes of the vineyard, with panoramic...

P1070748b-1

Gröbe Villa (Grébovka)

In 1871, a kilometre-long train tunnel was constructed under the high ground of this historic district on the southern side of the city. Moritz Gröbe, the railway magnate whose company was responsible for digging it, had the excavated...

P1070698-2

Malostranské nábřeží 563/3

A magnificent double-height neo-classical doorway with ironwork grille and triumphal embellishments: one of a number of grand residential statements on a stretch of the embankment adjacent to Kampa island.

P1070658b-2

Ječná 505/2: Church of Saint Ignatius

The Jesuit church dedicated to the founder of that order, Saint Ignatius Loyola, dominates Charles Square in Prague’s New Town. It was built between 1658 and 1671 by Carlo Lurago and his pupil Giovanni Domenico Orsi de Orsini....