LATEST ADDITIONS

P1100980b-1

Moskevská 120/21: Rangherka

Giuseppe Rangheri was born in Gora, on the shores of Lake Como, and came to Prague in the late 1700s when there was already a thriving silk market. He set up his original mulberry plantation near Wenceslas Square,...

P1100867b-1

Gröbe Villa (Grébovka) interior details

Between 2003 and 2008, the sumptuous interior of the Gröbe Villa in Vinohrady was remodelled in the style of Josef Schulz’s original design by the architectural husband and wife team Michal Hron and Hedvika Hronová. The villa, originally...

P1100617b-1

Štulcovy sady, Vyšehrad: Statue of St Wenceslas

Originally erected at the centre of Prague’s Horse Market (Koňský trh) this statue of Bohemia’s tenth-century ruler is the work of the prolific Baroque artist Jan Jiří Bendl, who sculpted it in 1678 in exchange for 200 guilders...

P1100679b-1

Olšanské náměstí: Church of St Roch

During the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, Prague was struck by devastating plagues, first in 1680 and again in 1787. The area of Olšany, then outside the city walls, was chosen to accommodate the dead. The burial ground, still...

P1100517b-1

Strossmayerovo nám: Church of St Anthony

At the centre of Strossmayerovo Square in Holešovice stands the neo-gothic Church of Saint Anthony of Padua. If its profile looks faintly familiar, that’s because its soaring towers were deliberately modelled on those of the ancient church of...

P1100501b-1

Karlovo náměstí 288/17: U Sedlerů

Originally a low building housing a brewery, the house on Charles Square known as U Sedlerů was rebuilt in 1899 by Rudolf Tereba. Its new neo-renaissance facade was decorated with a splendid art nouveau frieze depicting the establishment...

Cafe Louvre, Prague, interior

Národní 1987/22: Café Louvre

In 1902 – the year which saw a hugely influential exhibition of French art held in Prague –  the elegant Café Louvre opened its doors on the first floor of an impressive townhouse by architects František Buldra and...

P1100472b-2

Mariánské náměstí 98/1: Municipal Library

The art deco municipal library in Marianské Square was designed by the architect František Roith, a pupil of Otto Wagner, and constructed between 1925 and 1928. One fifth of the building is given over to the official residence...

Clam-Gallas Palace, Prague

Husova 158/20: Clam-Gallas Palace

Descended from a distinguished Austrian family, Count Johann Wenzel (Jan Václav) von Gallas managed an extensive diplomatic portfolio. As well as being Ambassador to London and the Hague during the War of the Spanish Succession, he was also...