Category: gothic

P1080505b-2

Karlův Most: Charles Bridge

Fifteen years after Prague’s first stone-built river crossing, the Judith Bridge, was washed away by floods, its 16-span replacement – commissioned by Charles IV from master architect Peter Parler – was begun. Tradition has it that the king...

Our Lady and Charlemagne, Prague

Ke Karlovu 453/1: Church of Our Lady and Charlemagne

The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and Charlemagne was constructed by the great gothic architect Matthew of Arras in 1351 on an escarpment overlooking the Botič Valley; its octagonal ground plan was chosen by...

P1070967b-2

Church of Our Lady before Týn

Close to the mediaeval merchants’ courtyard known as the ‘Týn’ (the word comes from the same root as the English word ‘town’), the gothic masterpiece of the Church of Our Lady dominates the Eastern side of Prague’s Old...

P1060938b-1

Cathedral of Saint Vitus: South Tower and Golden Gate

The south range of the Cathedral of Saint Vitus in Prague Castle is dominated by the so-called Golden Gate (Zlatá Brána). This ceremonial facade, commissioned by Charles IV in 1370, is covered in a priceless mosaic depicting the...

House of the Stone Bell, Prague

Staroměstské náměstí 605/13: The Stone Bell

One of the earliest surviving domestic residences in the city is the exquisite Dům u kamenného zvonu (House of the Stone Bell) in the Old Town Square. The house is named after the bell carved into a corner...