Category: cubist / deco

P1120186-2

Prokopova 216/4: Bethlehem Chapel in Žižkov

Six hundred years ago, in 1414, the practice of administering communion ‘in both kinds’ (i.e. with consecrated bread and wine for all participants, not just the clergy) was restored in Prague. The execution of the protestant leader Jan...

P1120018c-5

Na Poříčí 1046/24: Bank of the Legions

The Bank of the Legions (Legionářská banka, or Legiobanka) was founded in 1919 in the Siberian city of Irkutsk as a depository for the savings of Czechoslovak soldiers returning from the First World War. As a sign of...

P1110814b

Podolské nábřeží 15/10: Podolí Waterworks

The exponential growth of Prague in the second half of the nineteenth century placed particular pressure on the city’s fresh water supply. Ancient water towers and drinking fountains were no longer good enough, and in 1882 a pumping...

P1110373b-1

Vítkov Memorial

Vítkov Hill, due east of Prague’s historic centre, has always been an important strategic site. It was here in 1420 that Jan Žižka, scourge of the Holy Roman Empire and zealous warrior of the Hussite cause, led his...

P1100610c-2

Přemyslova 98/11 and Neklanova 98/30

This corner apartment block was constructed between 1913 and 1914 by František Hodek, and is generally attributed to the cubist architect Josef Chochol. The building’s classical articulation is set off by Chochol’s trademark lozenges, whose converging diagonals combine...

P1100472b-2

Mariánské náměstí 98/1: Municipal Library

The art deco municipal library in Marianské Square was designed by the architect František Roith, a pupil of Otto Wagner, and constructed between 1925 and 1928. One fifth of the building is given over to the official residence...

P1100238c-2

Celetná 569/34: The Black Madonna

The ‘House of the Black Madonna’ occupies a corner plot between the streets of Celetná and Ovocný trh (Fruitmarket) in Prague’s Old Town. Its facade and the unique interior were designed in 1911 by Josef Gočár, an example...

P1100075c-2

Perlova 371/5: Palác ARA

In the 17th century, the plot on which this building stands was owned by Vojtěch Had of Proseč, whose noble title Perlštejn probably gave Perlova street its name. Until the twentieth century a neo-classical palace stood on this...

P1090701d-2

Kříženeckého nám. 322/5: Barrandov Film Studios

Perched on a rocky bluff on the west bank of the Vltava, the Barrandov studios were intended as the centrepiece of a broader plan – an entire art deco suburb designed to accommodate the burgeoning 1930s film industry....

P1080675b-2

Vodičkova 710/31: U Myšáka

In 1922, the original neo-renaissance building by Otto Ehlen (1883) was refaced in the prevalent cubist style favoured by architects such as Josef Gočár and Pavel Janák. Although these two famous names were consulted on the project, it...