Category: baroque


Staroměstské náměstí 606/12: Golz-Kinský Palace

The Golz-Kinský Palace in the Old Town Square, currently home to the National Gallery’s collection of artefacts from the ancient world, is a superb example of late baroque style. In its courtyard Hermann Kafka had his haberdasher’s shop,...


Křižovnické náměstí: Church of the Holy Saviour

The Jesuit church of the Holy Saviour (Sanctus Salvator) was built between 1578 and 1653 according to designs by Carlo Lurago and Francesco Caratti, with magnificent stucco work by Domenico Galli. The church’s imposing facade marks the entrance...


Všehrdova 437/15

The House of the Red Cross was built in 1761 on the site of an earlier building. Having fallen into a state of disrepair, it underwent extensive restoration in 2002. Note that the cadastral number has changed in...


Karlova 175/3

The facade of the 16th-century house ‘U Zlaté Studny’ (The Golden Well) was decorated in 1701 with these reliefs by Jan Oldřich Mayer. Clockwise from top left: Saint Wenceslas, Saint John of Nepomuk, Saint Roch, and Saint Sebastian.


Hybernská 1036/3: Sweerts-Špork Palace

Facade of the Sweerts-Špork Palace (1783), redeveloped by Anton Haffenecker, with sculpture and ornamentation by Ignác Michal Platzer. By the end of the seventeenth century, the house that had previously stood here – at one time owned by...


Havelská 3/511

The 18th century painting of the archangel Michael has below it the following rhyming prayer: ‘Ochraňuj, Bože, dům tento drahý / který se zove U zlaté váhy’: ‘We pray that Thy protection never fails / This house, which...


Betlémské náměstí 258/10

Betlémské náměstí (Bethlehem Square) is most famous for its chapel which from 1402 onwards became the de facto base for Jan Hus and his reformist congregations. Opposite the chapel stands this fine baroque house, the birthplace, in 1831,...


Uhelný trh 526/6

The memorial plaque on this building in Uhelný trh (Coalmarket) is of particular interest to historians of Czech culture and language. ‘Here stood the house of the Golden Cross, where, on 4 February 1719, the Prague printer K.F....


Celetná 562/20

Above a baroque lintel in the Old Town of Prague appears this inscription, dated 1773: ‘To him and those who come after him’ (‘postebis’ corrected to ‘posteris’). The building is now part of the Philosophical Faculty of Charles...


U obecního dvora 798/5: House of the Censors

The short mediaeval street near the Convent of Saint Agnes has a fascinating history. In the Middle Ages, Prague’s Municipal Court (Obecní dvůr) had its seat here. Two doors away sat the Censors, whose job it was to...