Category: baroque

P1070658b-2

Ječná 505/2: Church of Saint Ignatius

The Jesuit church dedicated to the founder of that order, Saint Ignatius Loyola, dominates Charles Square in Prague’s New Town. It was built between 1658 and 1671 by Carlo Lurago and his pupil Giovanni Domenico Orsi de Orsini....

P1070481b-2

Prague Castle: Spanish Hall

Conceived in the late 1500s by the architect Giovanni Gargioli and completed in 1602-8 by Giovanni Maria Filippi, the Spanish Hall (Španělský sál) is one of the most impressive of Prague Castle’s state rooms. Named after the Spanish...

P1060993b-1

Strahovské nádvoří 132/1: Strahov Library

The Strahov monastery has been home to the order of Premonstratensians (White Canons) since 1143, and to the relics of Saint Norbert – the order’s founder – since 1627. The complex of buildings is remarkable for its painted...

P1060908-1

Nerudova 233/47

Devotees of Pablo Neruda, the Chilean Nobel Prize winner, will be aware that he adopted his pen-name in homage to the earlier Czech poet Jan Neruda, who spent his formative years at the baroque House of the Two...

P1060961

Úvoz 169/6

‘U tři seker’ (The Three Axes) is one of several houses on this street in Prague’s Castle District to retain their original house signs. This one refers to the story that a carpenter once lived here, although the...

P1060963b-1

Úvoz 161/22

Madonna and Child with the attributes of Justice, stucco decoration on the facade of the house ‘U zrcadla’ (The Mirror), dating from 1729. Enthroned beneath a gilded baldachin, the Queen of Heaven cradles the Christ child. He holds...

P1060952-1

Prague Castle: Matthias Gate

‘D[ominus] Matthias El[ectus] Rom[anus] Imp[erator] S[emper] Aug[ustus] Hung[ariae] Boh[emiae] Rex etc. F[ieri] F[ecit] An[n]o MDCXIV’ ‘Master Matthias, elected Roman Emperor, forever August, King of Hungary, Bohemia etc., ordered this to be built in the year 1614’. Actually, he...

P1050360b-1

Martinská 8

Neo-classical pediment attached to the gothic north wall of the church of Saint Martin-in-the-Wall in Prague’s Old Town. The inscription, ‘The generous piety of his Servants renovated [this church] to God their Protector’, conceals a chronogram giving the...

P1060914-1

Hradčanské náměstí 56/16: Archbishop’s Palace

The Italian Giovanni Battista Aliprandi is usually thought of as the architect of this building, but Dijon-born architect Jean Baptiste Mathey (responsible for the design of several major buildings in Prague, including Troja Chateau to the north of...

P1060215b-1

Malostranské náměstí: Cathedral of Saint Nicholas

The monumental cathedral of Saint Nicholas was begun in the late 1670s as the centrepiece of the recatholicization of Bohemia following the Thirty Years’ War. In 1702 the great Prague architect Kryštof Dientzenhofer took over the project, finishing...