Category: baroque

P1090888-2

Chapel of the Holy Family, Nusle

The Chapel of the Holy Family, adjacent to the Nusle Steps, was built in 1755 to a commission by Vinohrady councillor Karel Leopold Bepta. A simple square building with a pyramidal roof, it was originally entrusted to the...

P1090501b-2

Nosticova 466/5: ‘U dvou hrdliček’

The house known as ‘The Two Turtledoves’ was built in 1620 for the mayor of Malá Strana, Baltazar Globic. In 1726, it was remodelled by the architect Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer ​​for the royal carpenter Josef Leffler. The house...

P1090510b

Lichtenštejnský palác (Liechtenstein Palace)

There have been Princes of Liechtenstein resident in Prague since the early 1600s. Karel – the first prince and founder of the dynasty – was put in charge of the execution of the leaders of the Bohemian Estates...

P1090194b-2

U trojského zámku 1/4: Troja Chateau

This fine baroque chateau to the north of Prague was built between 1678 and 1695 for Václav Vojtěch, Count of Šternberk, according to a design by the prominent Dijon architect Jean-Baptiste Mathey. The monumental staircase by Georg and...

P1090132b-2

Mariánské náměstí 190/5: Klementinum

The Klementinum has always been at the academic heart of Prague. In 1556, when twelve missionaries arrived in the city to found a Jesuit college, they chose as their new home the complex of buildings near the Charles...

P1080988-2

Ke Karlovu 462/20: ‘Villa Amerika’

Known principally for his many sacred buildings, including the cathedral of Saint Nicholas and that of Saints Cyril and Methodius, the prolific Prague architect Kilián Ignác Dientzenhofer was also responsible for a number of magnificent secular works, among...

P1080996b-1

Resslova 9a: Cathedral of SS Cyril and Methodius

The corner of Na Zderaze and Resslova streets has always been a holy place. Tradition has it that Methodius himself (who with his brother Cyril set out to popularize Christianity in the Slavic lands) dedicated a chapel here....

P1090049-1

Carpathian Church of the Archangel Michael

The southern flank of Prague’s Petřín Hill is dominated by an extensive park created in the popular ‘English’ style for the sixth Prince Kinský between 1827 and 1831. Near the summit of the wooded hill is a curious...

P1080705b-1

28. října 378/15: The Golden Hive

Two separate mediaeval houses stood here at the lower end of Wenceslas Square until the year 1572, when the Betengl (or Wettengl) family had them joined together and substantially enlarged. In 1621, the property was confiscated from Kryštof...

P1080505b-2

Karlův Most: Charles Bridge

Fifteen years after Prague’s first stone-built river crossing, the Judith Bridge, was washed away by floods, its 16-span replacement – commissioned by Charles IV from master architect Peter Parler – was begun. Tradition has it that the king...