Category: baroque

P1110894b-5

Vlašská 347/19: Lobkowicz Palace

Originally a single-storey construction, this magnificent three-winged palace was built between 1703 and 1706 by the architect Giovanni Battista Aliprandi for Count Karel Přehořovský of Kvasejovice, Master of the Royal Mint. In 1753, it was acquired by the...

Valdstejn Palace Prague Senate

Valdštejn Palace (Senate)

Built on the site of an existing complex belonging to Jan Rudolf Trčka of Lípa, this monumental baroque palace below Prague Castle was completed between the years 1623 and 1630 for Count Albrecht von Wallenstein – in Czech...

Prague Castle state rooms interior

Prague Castle: State Rooms

The rococo interiors of the southern range of the presidential palace are richly decorated in gilded stucco in the manner of the adjacent (and much earlier) Spanish Hall. The entire wing was part of the classicist reconstruction of...

P1110288b-2

Štefánikova 68/12: Portheimka

In 1722, the celebrated Prague architect Kilián Ignác Dientzenhofer purchased a plot of land formerly held by the Jesuits, where his patron Count Jan Václav Michna already owned a substantial garden. Over the course of the next three...

P1100617b-1

Štulcovy sady, Vyšehrad: Statue of St Wenceslas

Originally erected at the centre of Prague’s Horse Market (Koňský trh) this statue of Bohemia’s tenth-century ruler is the work of the prolific Baroque artist Jan Jiří Bendl, who sculpted it in 1678 in exchange for 200 guilders...

P1100679b-1

Olšanské náměstí: Church of St Roch

During the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, Prague was struck by devastating plagues, first in 1680 and again in 1787. The area of Olšany, then outside the city walls, was chosen to accommodate the dead. The burial ground, still...

Clam-Gallas Palace, Prague

Husova 158/20: Clam-Gallas Palace

Descended from a distinguished Austrian family, Count Johann Wenzel (Jan Václav) von Gallas managed an extensive diplomatic portfolio. As well as being Ambassador to London and the Hague during the War of the Spanish Succession, he was also...

P1100080b-2

Church of Our Lady of the Snows

Ordained by Charles IV in 1347 on the day after his coronation, the original intention was to construct a great triple-aisled basilica reflecting the status of Prague as a second Rome. Even its name – Our Lady of...

P1090905b-2

Josefská 28/8: Church of Saint Thomas

Originally built in the 14th century, this parish church in Prague’s Malá Strana (Lesser Quarter) district was restored on several occasions, most notably by Kilian Ignac Dientzenhofer in the 1720s. The baroque styling, both inside and out, dates...