Category: art nouveau

P1070589b-2

Masarykovo nábřeží 248/16, Hlahol building

This art nouveau house on the right bank of the Vltava was built between 1903 and 1905 for the Prague choral society ‘Hlahol’ – whose name means something like ‘clamour’ or ‘peal’. The interior is decorated with a...

P1060040c-2

Vozová 1567/8: The North Pole

To reach the North Pole became a worldwide obsession in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The American Robert Peary’s arrival there on 6 April 1909 made international headlines, and could well be the explanation for the...

P1060678b-1

Václavské náměstí 792/34

The historic house known as ‘Wiehlův Dům’in Wenceslas Square was built in 1896 by and for the architect Antonín Wiehl (1846-1910), a leading figure of the Czech neo-Renaissance. The facade, by Josef Fanta with murals designed by Mikoláš...

P1060908-1

Nerudova 233/47

Devotees of Pablo Neruda, the Chilean Nobel Prize winner, will be aware that he adopted his pen-name in homage to the earlier Czech poet Jan Neruda, who spent his formative years at the baroque House of the Two...

P1050876b-1

Svatoslavova 589/9

‘Ave Maria!’: a neo-baroque bas-relief in a geometric art-nouveau frame adorns the facade of this townhouse in the southern suburb of Nusle.

P1060588b-1

Maiselova 41/21

Biedermeier-style ornamentation on this frontage of 1911 by Richard Klenka. Maiselova is named after Mordecai Maisel, the celebrated leader of the Jewish community during the Renaissance who, by lending money to Rudolf II during his multiple campaigns against...

P1060592b-1

Pařížská 98/17

Elaborately painted and gilded stucco-work adorns the facade of The Old Synagogue restaurant in Prague’s Josefov district, designed in 1906 by the architects František Weyr and Richard Klenka of Vlastimil. The latter was a somewhat eccentric figure, who...

P1060639b-1

Charkovská 518/22

Art nouveau detailing on the facade of a row of very fine town houses in the suburb of Vršovice. This building, along with its neighbour, number 20, were probably designed with the collaboration of architect Josef Pospíšil.

Facade of elementary school on Vojtěšská, Prague

Vojtěšská 216/13

The highly decorative facade of a základní škola (elementary school) in Prague’s New Town. The coats of arms, in descending order of importance, are those of Bohemia (top), Prague (left), and Nové Město, or New Town (right).